Is this shinkflation?

I recently purchased a few cans of paint. I purchased 4 different types of paint and two different container sizes. The large cans of paint are 124 ounces. The small can is 30.7 ounces. I always thought that paint was purchased as gallons and quarts which would be 128 ounces and 32 ounces. Is this a case of shrinkflation or has paint always been sold this way to allow some open space with the container? The cost of paint has increased dramatically over the years, I want to make sure I am getting everything in pay for. Maybe some professional painters can shed some light on this topic.

Shrinkflation really bothers me in a different area: recipes.

I have recipes I’ve used for years that require “1 can” or “1 pkg” of something. But the quantities have shrunk 10+%. So, do I then shrink the other ingredients to balance out? Or do I buy more of the shrunken product to get the correct amount, but then have leftover? This sounds trivial, but it’s not !! It can really mess up a recipe…

1 Like

I am not much of a cook. When I do cook, I try not to have leftovers. I find leftovers typically get thrown out. It seems that leftovers just are not as good as the freshly cooked meal.

You bring up an excellent point about shrinkflation and recipes. Have you noticed that cooking shows will often have everything premeasured in individual containers and they add each item at the appropriate time of preparing the dish. Those cooking shows never show anyone doing the dishes. I wonder how that works? :thinking:

Shrinkflation’s been going on for over a decade. Only Blue Bell seems to still sell their Ice Cream in true 1/2 gallon tubs. 2 cup cans are now 14 ounces, quart cans 28 ounces. And single-ply toilet tissue is now nearly transparent – that’s rather recent, but a pretty crappy change indeed.

Oh, I dunno… spaghetti mixed with the sauce overnites well, so does black-eyed peas & ham-hocks. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You are correct. One dish I can think of is homemade lasagna. It seems the lasagna is better the next day reheated. :yum:

1 Like