Internet Speed Question

I am paying Spectrum for 500 MBPS.

Speed test results are

Down load 6.6 mbps
upload 23.1 mbps.

If I am paying for 500 mbps shouldn’t I be getting 500 or close to it?

1 Like

Something is sure wrong,

2 Likes

I’d make a WAG that the issue might be substandard cabling between the street and your home, or poor/outdated cabling inside your home. We had a speed problem years ago and they replaced the street-to-home connection for free and replaced the outdated interior cables for $50. It does take a bit of complaining, though, to get them moving, especially if you live in an area where they’re the sole provider.

1 Like

Yeah, that is pretty terrible. I am not familiar with Spectrum…is that a cable internet provider? If so, maybe you have an outdated modem. Can you get them to run a diagnosis from their network to your modem? That should help trouble shoot issues up to your modem.

What does your LAN setup look like? That could also have an impact on your speed, although unlikely with that huge discrepancy.

1 Like

Spectrum is a cable internet provider.

They did something at their end because I got an email that said the issue
has been resolved and then I ran a speed test again.

The current speeds are Down load 566.5 mbps upload 23.2.

I am not happy about the upload for obvious reasons and we have a tech
scheduled to visit us this coming Thursday.

If it does not get straightened out than I will switch to Google Fiber
because I can get 1 GB for $ 70.00 per month.

My next door neighbor uses them and I went on the NextDoor app and the
neigh bors that have it all gave great reviews except one.

1 Like

I dislike Comcast for a long list reasons, but my Internet has always been great. My upload speed has never been good, but then again, how am I really affected by it? [took one second to load this pic]

1 Like

Most residential internet service is asymmetric so thus the focus on download speeds over upload speeds. If you think about the regular usage pattern for consumers this makes sense. You are normally just browsing web pages, checking email or streaming content, which uses download. Only for rare cases like uploading files and sending email with attachments are you using upload in any meaningful way.

1 Like

Based on this information I cancelled the appointment for Thursday.

2 Likes

Unless you pay for symmetrical service, the upload speed is generally very low. My Spectrum residential service is about 230 down and 12 down ($70 a month but probably can get them to lower it).

The asymmetrical speed is because people (rather than a company) generally only upload data a bit at a time. How fast do you type?

I also found that once I got my hardwire connection close to 100mbs down, I didn’t see any increase. When I checked via Speedtest.net I noticed Wifi was faster. Generally I have found that hardwire exceeds wifi in business, etc. It turns out that even though my laptop was fairly recent, it only had a 100mb LAN card, so wifi is my preferred connection.

Another issue can be that you need to power off the modem and router, wait a few minutes and power them back up to see if the speed increases. Sometimes you get stuck at a slow speed.

1 Like

Situation figured out it seems, so I will just comment on the speeds. I cannot see paying for 100+ mbps service. Before moving here I had a wireless ISP using a 900 mHz link. Speed topped out at 3 mbps, and it was about $60 a month! As long as it was steady I was good as I did not even think about doing any video streaming. I was able to use VPN to work and get my regular work done, which meant text based command line. In other words, my bandwidth demand was light.

Here, we have Commie Cast, and I use the entry level offering. Had it for $20/mo for a while then they bumped it to $49 and I have not called to gripe. Typical speed about 55 mbps down and 11 mbps up. No problem with some voip, and wife likes to stream youtube videos, also no problem.

1 Like

I am happy with it now.

2 Likes

I’m paying $60/mo for 200mps down - 10 mps up. I get 244 down and 21 upload speeds.

1 Like

For comparison, I have Xfinity and pay for the 600MB service. I always get in the high 500s download and mid 20s upload. Very consistent with what you posted.

1 Like

That is bad . Your download is what they base it on. It could be something wrong with the router or modem . Is yours all in one device ? or seperate ? The other thing to check is you will get best speeds with ethernet . Wifi may be a little slower than ethernet unless you have the new wifi 6 . also if you are on wifi the further from the router it will be slower or a bad signal. Slight chance neighbors signal is interfering .But yours sounds more like a modem or router issue because that is pretty bad . I pay for 250Mbs but get 285 MBS . Like other said can be bad cabling to the street . I had an issue a year ago it was a bad switch in the cable box outside the house . They put in all newline from the street and did not fix it until I changed the switch .(which they should have ) I would give your provider a call .

1 Like

sounds like the modem may need a hard reboot, but you want to ask tech support so they can look at modem logs before in case it clears them.

1 Like

Done that about a dozen times.

Provides temporary relief.

1 Like

I have scheduled an installation of Google Fiber.

I am done with Spectrum

1 Like

I will be very interested in your experience. Please let us know how it goes…

1 Like

I will.

This wll be my second attempt.

Once before they cancelled the installation with out explanation and I had to contact them to find out why.

It was because some of the infrastructure on the street was incomplete.

I will try again.

They have Good reviews on the Next Door app.

1 Like

Is that on your WiFi or a direct wired connection?
My WiFi rate is much slower than my ethernet connection, which is at the rate I’m supposed to get (Comcast).

1 Like