Internet Speed Question

It varies on both.

The WiFi is always slower than the direct connect but that is normal.

1 Like

I am paying for 500, highly variable readings with some in the low 50’s.

1 Like

Wow, wild fluctuations in the same day.

1 Like

@RasputinII I thought you had fixed your speed issue earlier in the thread. Are you using a Spectrum supplied modem or your own? In either case, it may be possible for them to flash an updated configuration or re-provision your modem fix the problem. Of course…if you are going with Google Fiber then doesn’t matter much. Anxious to hear about that experience.

1 Like

I just got off the phone and the tech told me to take the WiFi in and exchange it for a new one.

WoW.

I suggested this twice before and the other techs said no.

Will replace tit tomorrow.

1 Like

We have similar problems, paying comcast/xfinity for 300 and getting between 14 and 75 mbps down, with an average of 51 down. Uploads are consistently just under 12. My husband called comcast and got thru to a real person who couldn’t figure out the problem over the phone, so sent a tech. Tech suspected it’s the modem (supposedly it can handle 300 mbps). We’ve tried changing the channel and frequency on the modem, and have cycled the power many times (helps temporarily). So we’re shopping for a new modem. The tech did add a ground wire to the cable line at the house but I haven’t seen any improvement.

We have found 2 things that improve the speed: hooking the laptop up with ethernet cable gives us 140 down (why not 300??), and changing the server at speedtest.net gives me an average of 94.

Can’t wait to hear about your new modem, Raspy.

1 Like

Before you do that…how about hook your laptop up to the modem / router directly and eliminate the Wifi connectivity…then see what kind of speeds you get for a couple days. That would give you the smoking gun I would think…

1 Like

Use lap top in the kitchen, Desk tops are directly connect to the modem.

Here the speed test I just ran with a direct connection.

The new router was no charge.

The speed test on the new modem are showing 400 plus.

Now let’s see it it remains stable.

1 Like

Stabilized so far.

The right side shows the results since installation of the new router.

1 Like

Getting Ripped Off by Internet Providers

“If there’s one thing Americans seem to agree on, it’s that they don’t like their internet service providers. They have a lot of good reasons to be frustrated, according to a survey of US broadband service from Consumer Reports released Thursday.”

Check your internet speeds.

I am paying for a Gig down load.

Here’s what I am getting on a direct connection from Google Fiber:
Internet Speed

Wow Raspy what do you do with all that speed? I’m tickled to get almost 90 mbps for my 49 bucks, with rare downtime. Don’t know what I would do with more speed.

Commie Cast may be bad news but google is downright evil.

Stream TV and play games on line.

This with network CAT 5 cable. WiFi is about 1/4 of that.

Much better speeds with the fiber. Do you mind providing what the Google Fiber service costs on a monthly basis ?

$ 71.40 per month.

Thanks ! Wish I could get that in my area…