Your "my Social Security" Account is Transitioning to Login.gov

July12, 2024 News Release:

“Today the Social Security Administration announced that customers who created an online account (e.g., my Social Security account) before September 18, 2021, will soon be required to transition to a Login.gov account to continue access to their online services. Over five million of these account holders have already transitioned to Login.gov.”

I don’t like it.

It makes sense. Other government programs (TTP, SBA) are already using the Login.gov SSO solution and it should reduce redundancy in their systems.

The notice states that LOGIN.GOV or ID.ME can be used.

I did some research to make sure this was legit. Then I went ahead and created my account at login.gov. Not that hard.

ALWAYS preflight before you to commit to takeoff. :flight_departure:

1 Like

Creating my LogIn.gov was no problem but I also care for my adult daughter, who is an Intellectually Disabled adult with no smart phone or email address. I can’t use my email address to set up an account for her. This could get difficult.

Does your email service allow for multiple accounts? Just set an account up for her as a sub account.

Yeah both should work

I can confirm ID.ME works. Since I’ve had that account for many years, that’s what I used.

1 Like

I just helped my wife migrate over to login.gov, I’m already at id.me with Social Security.

Somehow I have a login.gov account for use with FEMA (we made a Houston TX derecho windstorm claim)… I’m not sure if I should try to merge all activity under login.gov but I think I’ll leave it all alone.

I have ID.ME for a long time for a few websites, now it just be a plus one for me.

You can’t use login.gov for IRS sign in.

I just did!

Interesting… The IRS.gov site does not show up on my login.gov site, I just it up for the trusted traveler programs. I’m assuming to add IRS.gov you have to sign up for login.gov by applying at the site you want to add to login?

It’s been a while since I’ve added sites and of course the helpline at the login.gov site is pretty much useless.

When my wife logged in with the old credentials she was directed to create new ones.

SS is no problem, but here’s what you get at IRS.gov:

Looks like IRS.gov is ID.me only.