Traveling with pet (dog) 50 lbs from Los Angles to Atlanta

Our son is coming home to visit for a week. He would like to bring his dog(50lbs); however, he does not want to put him in the cargo section of the plane. Any suggestions that aren’t expensive?

I understand, but for the record, cargo sections are fully pressurized and heated. However, those areas are often colder than the pax cabin

1 Like

If he’s flying, there really isn’t another choice. Not sure what the options on train might be…

1 Like

We have shipped dogs by air from New Zealand/Australia to Hawaiia nd from the Mainland to Hawaii and back.

My Sisters had to take their dog from Florida to California for a flight from California to Hawaii. They opted to drive because they did not want to put it on a flight for longer than necessary. The problem with the drive was that the dog could not be left in the vehicle unattended, so someone had to go get food while te other stayed with the dog.

The cargo hold can cause a problem for some dogs and yes, there could be some issue. I say have you son find someone to care for the dog. That eliminates most of the possibilities for issues.

I loved my two Labs (75 lbs each) and would not put them in a plane unless I HAD to.

I can’t understand the need to take a dog cross country for a visit.

4 Likes

Thanks, the train is not an option for a 50lb dog.

It sounds more like a people problem than a dog problem. I doubt if the dog cares one way or the other. :dog:

I don’t either, but given that people seem to feel the need to take their dogs everywhere with them these days, I’m not surprised. I’ve seen more dogs (not service dogs) at stores like Home Depot these days it makes me crazy. Once I was at checkout out and this couple had both their large Yellow Labs with them. The dogs were laying on the floor and people couldn’t get by. The couple was completely oblivious. Finally, the guy in front of me asked them to move their dogs and the couple apologized. The guy responded with “next time why don’t you leave your f****** dogs at home where they belong”. I was thinking the exact same thing myself.

I would suggest dog can go in the cargo part of the plane or stay home.

Tell him to drive.

1 Like

Transporting my dog in cargo is $500 one way from ATL to Washington State . . . $1000 round trip. Airlines have been very “disorganized” in transporting dogs. In retrospect, I would not do it again. I’d drive.

Look into pet transport services that can transport the dog via car or train, which may be more affordable than air travel.

It’s not just affordability, James. I don’t even know who is currently flying pets in cargo. Last time I flew my Brittany on Delta, the service was so disorganized I couldn’t believe it. I was told to drop off my dog at a dock location, but no one was there at 4:00 a.m. It took about an hour to get the dog checked in, then the employee didn’t approve of the kennel I provided. Plane change in SLC. Second flight cancelled. Had to locate dog and find a hotel for the night that accepted dogs. What a cluster.

My wife has a problem walking long distances and has to have a wheelchair when we travel. We tried to check a transport wheelchair once on Delta and it ended up in pieces when we arrived. You think you have issues transporting an animal, read this article:

Wow, that sounds like a total disaster, I totally get where you’re coming from, though - it’s not just about the money, it’s about finding a service that you can actually trust to take good care of your furry friend. :slightly_smiling_face: