There's GOLD in them thar hills!

Is anyone else surprised at the number of Gold Dealers.
“Buy Gold” is everywhere!!!

Seems everyone from Entertainers to Politicians are endorsing Gold Dealers. I even saw an add featuring Mike Huckabee hawking gold. Are there any limits.

We have discussed gold here before. Most have not been pro buying gold. The cost of buying, selling and holding gold seem to void any potential gain.

I have been wrong before, but I am sticking with an Index 500 fund.

1 Like

As a 5-10% part of a well-diversified investment portfolio it’s not a bad idea. As a large chunk of a retirement plan it’s probably gonna be a bad idea.

2 Likes

Good choice:
https://www.macrotrends.net/2608/gold-price-vs-stock-market-100-year-chart

I hear those commercials on the radio all the time now to buy gold.
When the market is up, I don’t recall hearing those commercials.
I will stick with the S&P500 until I’m dead.

Word of warning. Not sure if all advertisers are equal but…During my dads declining years, he fell for that “invest in gold” trick and once those “gold” companies got his address he was bombarded with “deals”. He bought coins, bullion, “golden” items, mint, proof sets, you name it. He spent every dime they had falling for the “smart investment” lines and now my mom is sitting with piles of this stuff. I’m afraid its mostly worthless although some might be authentic. Where do you get rid of “gold” (or “goldEN”) coins, etc?? Is there taxes on the sale of such or not if it turns into a capital loss?

It is easy to buy gold… not so easy to sell it…
especially for the true value!

I just saw Judge Napolitano pitching Lear Capital so I googled LC. BB shows Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2022! and has so many complaints for bait and switches among other things, especially preying on elders (ah hem). I’m sad these scammers can still exist and why oh why seemingly respectable people tout them.

Maybe you have mis-judged the judge… :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe the issue needs futher fact checking… :thinking:

What needs fact checking?

The judge…just google [Judge Napolitano]

And if you’re really interested in getting unvarnished facts, try googling it with a Google search page from a user who has never used a Google account.

The scams are not just limited to gold. Look at all the celebrity, financial and political clowns that endorsed FTX!!! The mother of all fraudulent schemes…

And you have the famous Actors or Sports Stars sporting the reverse mortgages. Steve Garvey doing a reverse mortgage commercial telling us his parents got one. Why on earth would his parents need one with all the money Garvey has made.

1 Like

Yes, everywhere including Costco! Recently, Costco has been making headlines about its sale of gold bars. What do you think?

Talk Radio & Cable News really has boosted the Survival Food & Gold Bug boom.
Not sure how things would go if you pulled out some gold during an apocalypse.
Maybe do a Clark: cook & preserve / seal your own food and use it to barter with the zombies. I’m sure they’d rather have a home cooked meal rather than nasa food or a piece of gold annyway.

I started buying gold late 2015 at $1050. Was done by early 2018. It hasn’t done badly, but it hasn’t done great. If it keeps popping, I am going to unload some of it to someone who has caught the fever.

If I was to want to buy gold, I would get gold bars from Costco. HOWEVER, the big scam is diamonds… Gold is easy to price because of weight and putity. Diamonds have a tremendous markup, their availability was controlled by Debeers. “From its inception in 1888 until the start of the 21st century, De Beers controlled 80% to 85% of rough diamond distribution and was considered a monopoly.” and vary considerably based upon weight, cut, color and clarity. Yes there are standards but that is a lot of varience that the purchaser has to rely upon.

Personally I would not buy gold because I know how to find it and have done so. Not the easiest thing to do but ceratinly no markup to middlemen. Yes, I have been sluicing in the streams in North Georgia and am a member of two prospecting groups. Gold nuggets can be worth more than the spot gold price as they can be incorporated directly into rings and other jewelry.