Technology & Our Cars

My argument is that it’s the same challenge as fixing a buggy harness vs a carburetor. The challenge is coping with change. This time around it’s tweeking a potentiometer or dip switch vs adjusting a mechanical carburetor.

When my treadmill had a problem I called the manufacturer’s help line and they directed me to their website where I downloaded a fix and applied it to the treadmill’s console. Tools required were a cell phone, a phillips screwdriver a PC, Intenet connection and a blank thumb drive and viola!.. problem solved.

The problem is caused by change… and only one thing never changes. That one thing that never changes is the rule that says everything (else) changes.

No, you need YouTube and a search engine.

No… the center display turns black. Both of my cars have a button to re-IPL the navigation/entertainment system. Kinda like a Control/Alt/Del keyboard sequence.

My 2017 Santa Fe uses 3G. But I think it also uses SVLTE, ( Simultaneous Voice and LTE (Long Term Evolution) A transitional standard that allowed a phone to simultaneously use a CDMA network for voice and a 4G LTE network for data .)

It sounds like a cobbled-together-at-the last-minute kludge that was implemented to drag along old technology until a clean break could be executed. I doubt that it will survive past a year or two.

They’ll probably euthanize it when they feel the decibel level of user complaints won’t significantly affect new car sales. It’s the price we pay for being on the bleeding edge of technology… :nerd_face:

Actually, my objections arise from 20 years of personally operating low income property, where most people could not afford to own a car, and whose employment opportunities were limited from this lack of transportation, as well as people who had cars sitting dead in my parking lot, as my tenants could not afford repairs because of the price of computer components

The Latinos, by the way, were smart about this — they look to buy old pre-computer cars they can fix themselves.

It is only for some, that technology multiplies anything: the elite, the business owners (including me), but not the poor. Obviously you never had much contact with any of them.

1 Like

For a person to believe that low-income folks do not benefit from technology, the following would have to be true: They would not ever ride public transportation, they would not use the telephone, a microwave oven, a solid-state thermostat, watch television, walk into a bank, use the postal service, or engage in any activity which utilized modern technology or used electricity.

We are all touched by modern technology it surrounds every US citizen and it’s ubiquitous nature makes it invisible to us as we go about our daily lives.

And FYI, my knowledge of poverty was obtained through personal experience as well. However my basic education in the subject was gained in my first 17 years of life as a participant, not an observer. That observational opportunity came later in life during a five-year stint as a Court-appointed special advocate (CASA ) and guardian ad litem (GAL) volunteers advocate for the best-interests of children who have experienced abuse or neglect.