Lease vehicle in accident waiting for parts

My son had a car accident in a leased car and took it to a body shop that received insurance money to repair it. Per the lease, the parts needed must be GM parts that are not available going on 4 months now. They verbally implied that they would reimburse for car rental, but bills are adding up and no one will give him written confirmation of this. Since they are requiring unavailable parts, he has to wait but does not have use of this car. Does the lease company or GM have a legal responsibility to pay for rental or can the lease be terminated under these circumstances?

Are non GM parts available?

I would send the Leasing Company a certified letter asking them for written confirmation of their covering the Car Rental Expense. Also ask for payment for bills received to date. You cannot let this go on.

You could also offer them the choice of Non GM parts or Rentals on a continuing basis. For me that is an easy choice.

My neighbor works at a body shop has said that they have cars that have been waiting for months for parts. They would have taken any kind of parts, but they just aren’t available. It’s a big problem.

Do the GM parts have to be new parts? OR could the partsx come from a recycler?

1 Like

#$!8##!
An unknown driver bumped the driver side door of my 2020 Mazda CX-5 in July of this year. I’m still waiting for a replacement door shell. My lease expires in four months. The Mazda dealer has already been paid by Amica for the parts. I’m not sure how to handle this issue. It irks me that at trade-in time most of my lease equity will be diminished by the unrepaired damage.

My lease end buyout is $20k. The current trade value is about $25k.

Does the lease company or GM have a legal responsibility to pay for rental or can the lease be terminated under these circumstances?

Neither the lessee nor GM have any responsibility to your son. It’s not their fault that he banged up their car. The lease cannot be terminated under these conditions. At lease end he either has to return the car in repaired condition or he will pay the difference in repaired versus unrepaired value.