Is it true that all dealer fees MUST be included in advertised price?

I don’t think I’ve ever purchased a vehicle where I haven’t paid something in doc fees, prep, administrative fees, etc., but I just ran across a website that says it’s illegal (in Georgia, at least) to tack those fees on afterwards, because they must be included in the advertised price of the vehicle. Only government fees can be added after the deal is done, such as tax, title, and the registration fee.

I’m having a hard time believing that literally every dealership in the state adds these fees on knowing they’re illegal. Can someone in the know clear this up for me? I’m looking to make a purchase in the next week or so and would like to go in informed.

Thank you!

Question. What is “advertised price”? If the car is simply sitting on the lot with its window sticker that lists the manufacturer price for the model and options, is it “advertised”? On the other hand, of they run ads on tv or online or in the newspaper, it is definitely advertised.

Just asjk for an Out the Door quote including all fees and taxes

1 Like

Weenut described his method… it works great

• Visit dealers to see and Test Drive.
  • When you know what you want, send emails to all Dealers in the area… In my case about 6. Tell them what you want… model down to acceptable colors. In my case not Black or White!
  • Ask for the OUT THE DOOR PRICE.
  • On the first round reply to all.- On the second round, I worked with the top 3 and continued to the point where you feel you have hit bottom.

I advise not telling dealers your best price so far… they may beat it by a nominal Amount. You want them not knowing what the competition is.

One exception, when you think you hit bottom, if the final bottom dealer is on the other side of town, I have told the closest dealer or dealers the price they needed to beat or meet.

PRINT OUT THE LAST OFFER
Take the last offer with you to the dealer…
Twice the paperwork did not reflect the last price.
When I produced the Email… they apologized and changed the Paperwork.

I will try that next time.