Https://cybernews.com/news/pbi-data-breach-moveit/

Who else is affected by this data breach and how easy is it to freeze your credit?

Pension Benefit Information (PBI), a US-based population management solutions provider, discovered another MOVEit Transfer related breach that exposed its users. The total number of exposed users exceeds 2.5 million.

I received a letter too from The PBI Team. Is this a scam? The letter is advising me to enroll is Kroll’s Monitoring services at no cost for 24 months. It says the breach happened on or around May 29, 2023 and May 30, 2023 but just now informing me in September. I am wondering if this is a scam.

I was exposed, too, due to vulnerable MoveIt software used by PBI for an insurance company I am a client of. That said, don’t click on links in email or give your personal info on the phone to anyone who calls CLAIMING to be calling to “help” you with this breach.

1 Like

It’s easy to freeze your credit. But if you don’t already have a Credit Karma account (it’s free), sign up for that first, then freeze your credit at the three incompetent credit bureaus: Experian, Equifax, and Transunion.

Once you go to their sites, you’ll see a “Manage Credit freeze” button or similar. Unfreezing is equally simple when you need to do that with those idiots.

Credit Karma will give you all the credit monitoring you need. And if you don’t already, you should check your credit reports with each inept credit bureau periodically. It used to be you could do it for free once a year at each of those bonehead companies, but I think they changed it to once a week now or something like that.

1 Like

Good information @rjratnip

Couple of nuances about Credit Karma:

• They only have the Equifax and TransUnion information (no Experian)
  • They show the scores using the Vantage model, not the FICO model

Yes, true about CK. But I don’t really use them for credit score as my CC’s do that for me. I find their credit monitoring pretty good, though.