Hit the Daily Double this AM

I had just finished fixing Breakfast when the phone rang.
Yes, I know, I still answer… what us old folks were trained to do.

The caller informed me that the warranty on my 2013 Honda had expired… like I did not know that. My guess is that over the 9 years we have spent less for covered stuff (not tires and Oil Changes) than one year of their warranty and without the hassle of dealing with them. I bet writing Warranties on Hondas and Toyotas is a very profitable business.

About this time, my eggs were getting cold and the phone rang again. I picked it up and got… “Hi Granpa, how are you doing”. I have had this call before. My grandkids do not call me grandpa either.
So I released an Expletive and returned to my luke-warm eggs.

There ought to be a law… but it would likely not be enforced… what else is new.

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now.

1 Like

On the car warranty call, when I ask if my newest vehicle is the one they are calling about, they always say yes. Then I tell them it’s a 2006 truck with over 250k miles, all I hear is a click.

2 Likes

When I get those calls, I tell them my car is a 1939 Ford coupe. They used to stay on and say they were sorry, but did I have anything newer. I would tell them I had a 1956 Pontiac Sedan. THEN they hang up.

1 Like

Got this call again… today.
Tried a different take.

“How are you KEVIN” same deal… accident, not his fault, gave me a case number, asked me to repeat it.

So how much do you need KEVIN? $15,000

At this point, I told him, “I do not have a Grankid named KEVIN

He hung up.

1 Like

My grandson gave me a name that I doubt very many people have, so that’s an easy one for me to catch. I wish I got one so I could lead them on a while.

1 Like

Do you like banging your head against a brick wall? I’m 64 and only answer the phone when I recognize the #. And even that is not a guarantee.

Now, maybe you like playing with these guys. I have more important things to do than small talk with these idiots.

1 Like

This is exactly how I play it out every time…classic !!

1 Like

When websites ask me to register with Mother’s maiden name, where did you grow up, what was your first car, where do you work, etc. I give them all different answers! Of course my responses are captured in my password manager.

Mother’s maiden name is another opportunity to use a unique complex password

I follow the computer guru Leo Laporte, he has a radio show and podcast. He has said for years that the “website questions for security thing” is very weak IF you give the real answer. Like OCHOTONA said above, you can turn this system into a very strong security by giving completely random wrong answers. Of course you must remember these. I write them down. Ochotona uses a password manager. I also use a PM (Bitwarden), but not for the question thing.

1 Like