Car parked in garage gets totaled

Scenario:
Home owner has a personally owned vehicle parked inside his own garage with the garage door closed. Vehicle and home owner are one in the same. Therefore this is a non driving occurrence as far as the owner is concerned. Drunk driver crashes into the garage and the vehicle is totaled.

Is the vehicle covered under home owners insurance as contents or under the owner’s auto policy?

Trick question? Drunk’s insurance.

Was the drunk driver insured? Would it be any different if the owner/victim’s car was legally parked and unoccupied on a public street and a drunk driver hit it? Does the homeowner have private property content insurance?

Lotsa variables and unknowns.

It unlikely the drunk driver will have enough property liability on their auto to cover all damages. For sake of the discussion let’s assume they don’t.

I think it may depend on the homeowner’s policies. H/O would likely cover any structural damage, depending on the deductible, but may not cover the auto. For example, our H/O policy excludes “motorized land vehicles” (with minor exceptions that would not apply to the example). But one’s auto policy, again depending on the language, may cover the vehicle. If it does, the insurer would seek reimbursement from the driver’s insurer and the driver.

The drunk had enough money for the alcohol, time to see if he has any more money where that came from… :nerd_face:

I would start by calling my Insurance… especially if my Auto and Homeowners were with the same Company. Ask them for Guidance!

My guess is the owner’s auto policy, not the homeowner’s insurance. I say this because many years ago when I wanted to suspend the auto insurance on my husband’s truck while he was out of the country, the insurance company told me to keep the comprehensive on it even though I was keeping it in the garage in case damage occurred (fire or storm) because our homeowner’s insurance wouldn’t pay.

1 Like

You get cancelled either way! On two occasions, years apart I was hit by drunk drivers, neither had insurance. My insurance covered my two totaled vehicles and all injuries. On legal advise I was told to change my insurance companies, both times and before the cases were settled. The reason is; insurance companies don’t care who is at fault, just that you were in an accident. If they cancel you as a result of the accident, other companies will either not insure you or will charge a huge premium for only liability ins. I was a cop for 38 years and saw this happen many times. I am retired and in the Midwest now. Make sure here you have uninsured motorist!

1 Like

PS; Lesson learned, never file an insurance claim ever. Also you can sue anybody. The secret is ever being able to collect it!

Then why am I paying premiums? The claim is open, when this is all said and done maybe I can go into more detail. We weren’t driving, my car was parked in an attached garage with the door down.

1 Like

It would appear that “your results have varied” from the norm. And why, given your recommendation to have uninsured motorist coverage, would you do so if you “never file an insurance claim, ever” …?

The location of the vehicle is not material. Homeowners excludes motor vehicles (as described here)
It’s not even close. Its covered under collision. Comprehensive coverage is not based on being parked or moving either.

If you have your homeowners with the same carrier, SOME policies will only apply one deductible. The benefit of not simply shopping price.

MOST uninsured motorists policies do not cover property damage unless you buy an special endorsement. That said it varies both by policy and by state.

1 Like

Retired insurance adjuster here.

If you have collision coverage then collision coverage applies because the loss to the car arises out of a collision.

If the drunk had insurance then his liability coverage covers his legal responsibility for the loss up to the limits of his coverage for both the car and the dwelling.

If the vehicle is not a total loss and you have it repaired be sure to check the status of the diminished value laws in your state. because the repaired vehicle now has an accident history which will reduce it’s trade in value when you trade it in the future.

Additionally, the diminished value plus the cost of repairs make make it a total loss.