Are credit cards with a chip.safe to use a gas pumps?

The magnetic stripe card data could be easily harvested by a thief’s skimmer. Are chip cards any more secure at fuel pumps? At my local station they now use chip readers.

I keep a separate credit card only for gas station use, because of fraud risk, I’m wondering if I can discontinue that practice.

In the event that your credit card is compromised at a gas pump or other wise you will incur an inconvience involved with the reporting the issue.

Otherwise it’s the credit card companies loss.

I use my debit card and have never had a problem.

I always check to see that the security seal on the pump is intact.

1 Like

Using the chip reader is much safer than using the magnetic stripe reader. Chip reader can’t be spoofed. I wouldn’t hesitate to use a chip reader with any card at a pump.

If the chip reader was broken or wasn’t working I would go somewhere else. It could have been disabled in order to force people to use a skimmer magnetic stripe reader.

2 Likes

I have a 53 Bank Express card. I maintain a balance of zero, and transfer money to it via my cell phone to use it. Even if they stole the card and had my pin, there is no money in the account for them to steal. It is free, no overdraft fees. A little extra work, but worth it. Do not get overdraft protection with it, as it defeats the purpose. Not sure if other banks have something like it.

1 Like