Any recommendation on a reasonable phone & plan for like a 2nd phone?

Seems all these advertised phone plans that start out cheap morph into $40+ in a couple months. Ideas welcome. thanks.

Depends on your usage and where you are as not all carriers are as good in some areas while better in others. Have you looked into TING? I know someone with 2 lines and they haven’t complained about coverage even though in a more terrain challenged area. Again, depends on usage needs and their costs go up on cross country trip where their usage pattern changes to more data, but they still find it a great value and say that the customer service is great. I have other friends on Consumer Cellular and are happy with that.

TELLO !!
I have my 2nd/emergency phone with them. I brought my own unlocked phone which I got on a good sale at Best Buy.

You can customize your talk minutes and GB of data.
Text is unlimited, but you need some level of data to do MMS/pictures/group texts (and that’s true with almost any carrier).

My plan is 100 minutes talk and 500 GB data per month and I pay $6/month. Yes. Six Dollars.
But wait – there’s more!
If you renew early (manually, online), your unused minutes + GB roll over, though it will alter the new renewal date. If you check off the reminder box when you renew, they will send you a reminder of when your renewal comes up so you can do this.
If you just allow auto-renew, there’s no rollover. I don’t understand it, but it’s easy enough to manually renew.

You can change your plan at any time, which has +/- .
If I suddenly needed to use more minutes and data, I can change the plan which would take effect immediately.
But you don’t get refunded for any of the unused minutes/data, and you lose your rollovers from the old plan, though you may have already used them before changing. (you can then get rollovers with your new plan).
Of course, some people will complain, but to me, it’s the price I pay for having flexibility and rolling over what I don’t use – I can change my plan, then change back if I no longer need that amount. How many carriers allow that?!? I’m not going to complain if part of my $6 isn’t refunded because I decided to change my plan !!

Take a look at Tello!

I had Ting years ago, loved it — they were great for low-usage folks. But my usage went up and I found better pricing with Republic Wireless.

BUT – both Ting and Republic Wireless were bought by DISH (which also owns Boost). I can tell you that the Republic has gone downhill since then.

Ting may be better off because from what I’ve read, the original owners are still providing support for it, not DISH.
Dish buys Ting Mobile to expand its wireless business | Engadget

Very helpful. Thank you

| NancyM
March 4 |

• | - |

TELLO !!
I have my 2nd/emergency phone with them. I brought my own unlocked phone which I got on a good sale at Best Buy.

You can customize your talk minutes and GB of data.
Text is unlimited, but you need some level of data to do MMS/pictures/group texts (and that’s with almost any carrier).

My plan is 100 minutes talk and 500 GB data per month and I pay $6/month. Yes. Six Dollars.
But wait – there’s more!
If you renew early (manually, online), your unused minutes + GB roll over, though it will alter the new renewal date. If you check off the reminder box when you renew, they will send you a reminder of when your renewal comes up so you can do this.

You can change your plan at any time, which has +/- .
If I suddenly needed to use more minutes and data, I can change the plan which would take effect immediately.
But you don’t get refunded for any of the unused minutes/data, and you lose your rollovers from the old plan, though you may have already used them before changing. (you can then get rollovers with your new plan).
Of course, some people will complain, but to me, it’s the price I pay for having flexibility and rolling over what I don’t use – I can change my plan, then change back if I no longer need that amount. How many carriers allow that?!? I’m not going to complain if part of my $6 isn’t refunded because I decided to change my plan !!

Take a look at Tello!

I don’t have a particular recommendadtion, only a comment.

I had to purchase a cellphone and decided to get something close to current. I ended up with a reconditioned Samsung S21-FE which looked new. I chose the unlocked phone because it had 2 SIM card slots. I swapped in my Verizon one but am toying with the ida of trying service through Mint mobile which uses T-Mobile. With the second slot I can just switch between carriers to test coverage.

Regardless of the carrier, if I can get data through them or can use WiFi, then I can use a cheap per-minute carrier. Using Zoiper or similar program and a provider like Voip.MS or CallCentric I can make calls for perhaps a penny a minute, including calling Internationally (England is actually 8/10’s of a cent per minute). That way I don’t have to subscribe to a cellphone carrier International plans.

You said phones and plans. You don’t say what kind of phone you want, but take a look at HSN.

Samsung Galaxy A03s 6.5" HD+ Tracfone Bundle with 1500 Min/Text/Data $59.99

TCL A3 Tracfone Bundle with 1500 Min/Text/Data $39.99

TCL Alcatel My Flip 2 T408DL Tracfone with 1200 Min/Text/Data $39.99

These phones (and many others) purchased from them include the minutes listed & are good for a year. Keep in mind the minutes/texts/data are TOTAL, not every month. TracFone unlocks all newly purchased phones after 60 days on their service. After the phone is unlocked you can port out to any carrier that will work with your phone.

RedPocket Mobile has a plan 200 talk/1000 texts/ 200 mb
EVERY MONTH for $30 & is good for a whole year so it’s only $2.50 a month (it’s with T-Mobile). That is where I have my second emergency/backup phone. I’m using an old unlocked TracFone.