About the Phones and Phone Plans category

Nearly everyone has a cell phone and pays for cell phone service every month. Who do you use for cell phone service? Is there a provider you think everyone needs to know about? Share your opinions on cell phone plans here.

i have consumer cellular. i contacted them for a problem, and they have good phone service to customer, and upgraded my plan to reflect the present offerings. My daughter loves her mint, and its price beats CC, but not sure of getting a person on phone for help, and eventually you will need it.

I have had Verizon for years, but I would like to move to a less expensive carrier. However, I absolutely love the text voice mail they offer, which costs extra each month. I also love their monitoring of suspicious texts and the fact that you can block numbers yourself. Yes, this also comes with a small fee. I did have insurance through Verizon on my expensive iPad, and when the iPad suddenly went dead after three years, Verizon provided me with a new device. I’m not sure that any of the less expensive carriers can provide the two services I love, so for now, I’m still with Verizon.

I use textnow. It is a great plan and uses wifi first for everything. If wifi is not available it uses towers. A 2 GB plan is 10.99 including taxes. I use it mostly at home and rarely use more than 500 MB per month.

I have used Tracfones from HSN or QVC for at least 10 years. Every year, I get a new phone (with 1200 or 1500 minutes, messages and data for the year) and NO MONTHLY BILL. I have paid only about $60/year, though last year most prices have jumped up. I have had to pay $10 twice for 1GB of extra DATA. Last year, Capital One Shopping app bought the phone for me, so this year is completely free. I think this is a perfect plan for folks who don’t live on their phones.

I have had no problems in the last few years, but if you need Customer Service, I suggest you go to Tracfone site and use the Chat. Their CSRs frequently are hard to understand over the phone.

If you buy a new phone and have minutes, messages and/or data remaining from the previous year, they will add it to the new phone plan, so I have thousands of minutes and messages left. I can’t see why anybody who doesn’t use tons of data, minutes or messages would use any other service.