AAA ID Theft Benefit - wants my SS#

I just received my 2023 AAA card and there is a free offer of ID Theft monitoring. The online form asks for my social security number in order to sign up for it. What do you all think? Worth the risk?

Just use https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ once a year.

3 Likes

Absolutely NOT. Your SS number must be kept as confidential as possible. My credit cards give me my credit score, not that I care about it, every month free.

How do think they would monitor for ID theft without your SSN? Either you trust them to do this job for you, or you don’t. If you trust them to do the job, why wouldn’t you trust them with the information they need to do the job?

I understand this, however was basically interested in others’ experience with this service and whether it’s worth the risk. Sometimes it is helpful to hear other people’s opinion.

Understand that no one who’s replied has used it. None of the responses have even mentioned using any similar service (until my comments below). Checking your credit annually and monitoring your score are different services, and so I would consider those replies non-responsive to your question.

I’ve used an ID theft monitoring service (through my employer, not AAA), and I did give them my SSN. There’s really no way around it if you want the service. I used to be fairly protective of my SSN (and still am to an extent), but for things like this, you can’t get it without sharing your SSN. Since they’re in the business of protecting you from fraud, it seems like a small risk that they’ll just throw their whole business away to defraud you. I still won’t give it to doctors or others just because they have a spot for it on their form. But for opening bank accounts and credit cards, and for credit monitoring, go right ahead.

I’ve used AAA credit monitoring for about 2 years now. AAA already had my SSN since they issue my auto insurance so supplying it was a duplication. In addition to monitoring credit reports, it also monitors phone numbers, credit cards and bank accounts, etc. [up to 10 for each category] if you choose input that info. Monitoring credit with AAA also includes monitoring the dark web. I don’t think annual credit report does that. They found my phone numbers on the dark web. Now I know why there’s been so many marketing calls lately. I get periodic emails with alerts when my credit score changes or something is found on the dark web. I was initially hesitant but it has proven useful so I was comfortable adding more data to monitor. The confusing thing is that I get emails from 3 different monitoring sources associated with this account [though I’m only signed up with AAA] and am not sure if I need to create accounts with all 3. BTW, this monitoring is with Experian only so I think it would be wise to check the other credit bureau info periodically.

What they do is scan the web, etc. for your FICA # being used. Somewhat difficult to do if they don’t know the number, eh? Seems to fit Clark’s thought of giving it only when it is needed for a legitimate purpose.

I am one who fills in that SS# request space in medical forms, etc using REFUSED. Only ever had one problem with it - a clerk refused to let me go forward with my appointment unless I gave the number so I replied to the kiddie, “Fine, I’m here, the others in the waiting room see me, YOU explain to your boss why this billing hour slot is empty” I then saw the doctor.

I’m really firm on this because in the late 1970s I had an ambulance ride after an accident and went to the EMT office after hospital discharge to settle the charges only to find my file lying open on the receptionist’s desk with my
FICA number written in black Sharpie for any passerby to see and memorize. The receptionist wasn’t anywhere in sight, but the waiting room was full of customers.