Teflon non-stick pans dangerous?

This has surfaced before. Once they get scratched, I dump them. Best pan ever for me was an oil infused ceramic. But after x uses it was suddenly the worst. Everything stuck.

1 Like

I’m going to try Hexclad which Gordon Ramsay is hawking. If it’s all metal.

We mostly use stainless-lined and cast iron pans and skillets, but according to healthline.com when used correctly they are not a problem:

" Generally speaking, Teflon is a safe and stable compound.

However, at temperatures above 500°F (260°C), Teflon coatings on nonstick cookware start to break down, releasing toxic chemicals into the air (18Trusted Source).

Inhaling these fumes may lead to polymer fume fever, also known as the Teflon flu.

Polymer fume fever consists of temporary, flu-like symptoms such as chills, fever, headache, and body aches. The onset occurs after 4–10 hours of exposure, and the condition usually resolves within 12–48 hours

(19Trusted Source, 20Trusted Source)."

Is Nonstick Cookware Like Teflon Safe to Use?.

Teflon fumes are EXTREMELY toxic to birds, even below those temperatures.

My wife and I are very happy with cast iron! We have cast iron skillets in multiple sizes, pots, dutch ovens, etc. We also cook on a glass top range with them. The heat distribution and time to heat are very efficient and fast. When frying eggs they slide right out. Clean up is no problem and seasoning after each use is quick with vegetable oil or whatever is nearby. The only draw back is one hand use with the larger pans. I’ll never go back to stainless steel or teflon coating.

Can you give us a source for your information?

How do you season them?

Good question. I’ve been tempted to try cast iron.

Teflon Poisoning in Birds | Causes, Signs, Symptoms & Treatment.

There are many, many more sources as an easy google search will show. Birds have a dramatically different respiratory system than mammals, and it is far more sensitive.

I hear birds are susceptible to lots of things. A birding friend of mine told me that even avocados are deadly to many birds.

Here’s a short version of how to season a cast iron pan:

And here’s a longer, more detailed version:

1 Like

My Calphalon ceramic fry pans came this week. I am thrilled with them. I fry a lot of chicken, bacon, eggs, potatoes, and the pans literally wipe clean with paper towels.

1 Like

robert, we’ve use the anodized Calphalon pots and pans for years. May be the best cookware we’ve ever owned.

jimtoo, fully agree! I also have several