Redeeming I bonds

I have several I bonds, some from back in the 90’s when I first started listening to Clark. I bought some last year with my tax return because I had mis-entered my account number at Treasury Direct. I jumped through all the hoops then sent paperwork in to correct the mistake but, despite receiving notification that my paperwork had been received, it hasn’t been corrected in almost a year. A couple of my bonds will mature soon. I read you must redeem I bonds through the Treasury Direct website but fear I’ll be unable to redeem them due to the error. Is there another way to cash in I bonds?

Try your bank.

See more here: Cash EE or I savings bonds — TreasuryDirect

Fuzz….a related question….I have converted paper bonds to the electronic version on the Treasury website. At the later date, I may want to gift a couple to a charity, thus avoiding capital gains…question…. Is it possible to designate a charity, and have the treasury transfer the funds directly to the charity? I have been given mixed answers. Thoughts?

No, you can’t do that.

I was afraid of that, thanks for confirming. Hopefully that will change in the future.