I received $35.97 as a participant in the Plaid Class Action Settlement

This wasn’t a scam, the money got PayPal’d to me last week. Not a scam but probably too late to enter.

I don’t usually take part in class-action lawsuits… here’s why:

Are you sure your name and contact information is, and will remain, confidential?

Aren’t legal matters that come before a court, by law, open to anyone who asks to see them?

If the answer is yes, then you could end on the mailing lists of some bad actors.

I never worry about that anymore… because they got it ALL in the Equifax breach.

1 Like

Years ago, I think it was the Leo LaPorte show, a class action suit was mentioned by him about the Starkist lawsuit. If you had purchased their tuna in a certain date range, you could get some portion of the lawsuit proceeds. I signed up for it because I did buy their product and thought what the heck. I did not hear about it after that. Then one day I was checking my PayPal and their was a deposit with the class action share I received. It was around $4 or something. Took them a few years to get that money to me. I was never notified about the payment. Thought it was strange how they sent it to me after years going by. PayPal does not retain transactions past 2 years on their site so I am not sure of the dates. Funny thing is, Big Tuna is still having lawsuits to this day about price-fixing and underfilling the 5 ounce cans.

I responded to the Yahoo breach class action lawsuit Sept 2022. July 2023 I received a check over $1200.00

1 Like

I have heard Clark mention many times that Class Action Suit recipients receive pennys, maybe he means pennys on the dollar.

So, I was involved in a $33 million dollar class action that my group of 850 farmers brought. It included many large organizations who handled mislabeled products. The distributors themselves may not have been aware because they accepted the word of distributors, but they contributed to the fraud. In our case, coffee was sold representing itself as coming from Kona Hawaii, when in fact a lot of it did not. Simple math showed that there was many more times the amount being sold than could possibly come from that region. These companys included Costco, Safeway, Kroger, T.J. Max, World Market Cost Plus, locally owned ABC stores and so on.

The original motion, filed in Washington district court, said, “Even though only 2.7 million pounds of authentic green Kona coffee is grown annually, over 20 million pounds of coffee labeled as ‘Kona’ is sold at retail. That is physically impossible; someone is lying about the contents of their ‘Kona’ products.”

Proving the fact took a back seat until a company was able to find a DNA way to test coffee for origin before and after roasting. The suit and charts showing the results were incredible.

The suit ended up being a multi-million settlement which netted the plaintiffs real money. I personally received (so far) over $9,000 and there is still one case just settled and will yield another payment.

This is definately a case of the little guys going against the big guys to protect rights.