Do You Receive Any of Your Bills in the Mail?

Smaller packages can be put in the box; larger ones, as previously, they deliver to the door, or if a signature is required, and no one answers, they leave a pickup tag for us to take to the post office.

99.9% of my bills are paid online automatically. Iā€™m a minimalist. Keeping it clean and streamline. Only bill that comes via snailmail is my property tax bill, which is then paid online.

1 Like

100% of all financial documents/bills/statements. When I do business with a firm I tell them electronic communications are unacceptable and keep a copy of this instruction to them for legal disputes.

My ISP is Verizon and reliability has been spotty, even being without service for a week at a time. I am not out in the woods somewhere, but in the Philadelphia PA suburbs so must conclude this is just a fact of life.

For security reasons and the current state of the Postal Service, this isnā€™t an option for me. I do print my statements as some of the charges are tax deductible and it helps keep me from missing deductions. In addition, the online service is a rolling 12 months, so for dispute purposes it helps to have a paper copy (via printing from the website).

I donā€™t disagree with Clark very often, but definitely on this topic. I get ZERO bills by mail, and I do review all statements on the computer screen. Mailboxes in the neighborhood are broken into oftenā€¦ even the so-called ā€œhigh securityā€ community mailbox (sets with 8 to 12 boxes together). I donā€™t need the meth-heads getting my account numbers! 100% of our utilities (electric, garbage, water, gas) are delivered electronically and set for ā€˜auto-payā€™. Saving trees and polar bears! But I still review them!

I appreciate all the work Clark and his team do, but I cringe every time I see the advice to get a paper statement. Paper statements are an easy target for criminals and such an environmental waste. Also, I work as a money managerā€“believe me, people who wonā€™t bother to look at their online statements also donā€™t bother to look at their paper statements.

1 Like

I think Iā€™d move if it were me. Iā€™ve never had my mailbox ā€œbrokenā€ into (itā€™s not locked), and never heard of such a thing in my neighborhood.

Bad advice! Mail thiefā€™s can get your credit card statement and many statements have all your info including the card account number!

USPS mail thieves are locals and can be bought to justice more easily than can cyber thieves. The return of stolen funds and extent of the damage to the victim can also be assessed and mitigated easier.

plus, itā€™s so easy to get notifications when the bill arrives or is due.
I check it online, then download/save it. Done, with no waste!

My town/county does send water and property tax bills via USPS, but thatā€™s all I get. And, they have an online website where you can check your bill/payments.

Weā€™ve had mailboxes broken into several times in the last year, and more recently had multiple tire punctures a handful of times in the last few months (always multiple homes each time). Iā€™m glad I replaced my ancient basic mailbox with a locking one ~twoish years ago. My culdesac hasnt had any tire punctures, but the house at the corner has had it happen at least twice.

Yes I do, I do pay some of them online, but I want to see the bill, and make sure everything is correct for the month

I often receive paper bills. So I take photos of them and then convert them into PDF format using a pdf converter, and then store them in my Google Drive

Every bill I can do paperless, I do. So I only get my water/sewer bill and property tax bills by mail.

I also set up my bill alerts to notify me when a statement is out, when a bill is due, when payment is received, etc. If the amount looks different than usual, I check the online statement to verify. The alerts are very helpful.

I download all of the bills ā€“ usually every 3 months or so ā€“ and save them on my computer/drive.

I do the same with financial statements.

I am very relieved not to deal with mountains of paper and shredding documents.

I am now getting some of my bills by mail because relatives will need them if I die and I have too many email accounts and so on set up. Yes,I could consolidate them but I have seen issues when a neighbor died and his email boxes (like Gmail) filled up and stopped receiving mail in January.

Some people have talked about mailboxes being broken into. The cure for that is a little box they have at the Post Office where you receive mail and retreive it with a key. For me that is a no-brainer because they also can email me with photos of what the received items look like and I can go retreive them. I am sure that someone will chime in about having to pay for a mailbox, but consider that insurance like you have on your car or house. If you want a free location that you can get packages or mail, then you may have theft.

Catch thge ā€œglitter bomb packagesā€ videos on Youtube.

Lavarock ā€“ I totally get what youā€™re saying and Iā€™ve thought about the same issues.

Iā€™ve condensed my emails to 2 email addresses ā€“ one email is for shopping/credit cards and the other email is for financial, tax, insurance - type info. So I have 2 email accounts that I have to leave information for. I also left info for all of my billing ā€“ credit cards, utilities, insurance, along with bill due dates, so itā€™s easy to check that way, too.

I have most bills on auto-pay, but as I said in a different discussion, Iā€™m not sure if that would continue after I pass, so Iā€™ve left manual instructions, too.