Debit card PIN saved me a hassle

I think we’re talking about tapping a card on a reader, not tapping a cell phone. Tapping a card on a reader doesn’t generate a one-time code as far as I know.

Alrighty then…carry on…

The difference is in the card itself. A CC has Federal Protection if you report unauthorized use within 30 or 60 days, I forget which. The max you can be legally liable for is $50, or it used to be. Nothing comes out of your bank account until you say so. There is no such protection for DCs! It’s a direct link to your bank account. If they did get your PIN from a card reader or visually, some places it’s not needed, they get could drain your whole bank account, especially dangerous if you have Overdraft Protection. The banks are not legally required to replace the money, though some say they will, but you may not get as fast or as easily as you think or need. There are conditions to getting it back. You better know them. Yes, it’s easier to use another’s CC, but could be more costly if they do use your DC. That’s the difference. I canceled my DC and sleep better for it. CCs s/b welcome anywhere s CC is. Why carry something that is a direct link to your bank account? Just like direct ACH payments from your bank, it’s a two way street. They can go into your account and take money they think you may owe and it’s up to you to get it back. Good luck!

1 Like