Costco gasoline is a problem for filling containers

Be advised! The Costco fuel stations use a nozzle that makes filling containers VERY difficult. The nozzles are designed to help control air pollution from escaping fumes when fueling your vehicle. BUT, those nozzles don’t work well for filling hand carried containers.

I got them to work by pressing the nozzle boot tightly against the fuel can opening.

Not an issue at my Costco. Maybe that will change sometime.

The OP is talking about the gas nozzles that have a rubber boot that makes contact with the fuel tank’s filler where the your cap goes. The gas pump excavates the fumes that are expelled as the tank fills so it doesn’t evaporate into the air. I think they are required in OR, WA and CA.

If the thing can’t detect a seal with the tank it’ll kick off like it does when your tank fills up to the nozzle.

Yes, I get that, and the ones at our Costco do not make it hard to fill containers.

We have had those new nozzles for a while now. I bought a gas can on discount, went to Costco and I tried filling a 5 gallon plastic can and also had problems getting it to work. When I finally got the thing full, I found the plastic gas can handle had a slice in it and I had gas going ontothe ground. I drove back to Walmart and bought another and transferred the gas to the new can.

If you want to get a smile, find the Costco attendant and point at the “Warning, do not place foreign items in the handle” sign. Ask if you can put domestically made items in there?

1 Like

We’ve had those nozzles for several years at least. First time I tried to fill gas can it was not going well. However, the attendant turned up almost immediately and showed me I just needed to create a little pressure between the pump cuff and the can. Worked like a charm and have never had another problem.

Ha! Yah, that’s for states that doesn’t allow the little lock so you don’t have to hold the handle the entire time you’re pumping. I made some “foreign items” to bypass that! Take a short piece of 1 inch wood. Make a ramp out of it. 1 inch to 2 inch. It will fit right in the handle.

I do not leave the area.This is just to keep from having to hold the nozzle all the time.

If you are filling the containers for your lawn equipment, a lawn equipment mechanic told me years ago that you should be using ethanol free gas. Most lawn equipment lasts longer with ethanol free and a stabilizer if you store the gas for more than a couple months. You can find the ethanol free stations here: https://www.pure-gas.org/
My equipment seemed to start easier and need less maintenance, especially the 2 cycle engines like the chain saw and weed-eater, after I started doing this. However, I have since gone to battery lawn equipment which is NO maintenance!!

It’s also a good idea to remove your gasoline containers from your car or truck and place them on the ground before filling them at the gas station. There’s a danger in getting a static electricity discharge if you fill them while they are in you car. If you have an external auxiliary tank in your truck bed it’s probably grounded to the chassis.

Here we had many problems with the switch to ethanol-infused gasoline.When it appeared here boater and ATV people had major issues. My ATV, chainsaw and weedwhacker fuel lines destroyed themselves because of the alcohol. I went to the local repair shop and he had 20 or 30 like units in to have their fuel lines replaced.

Boaters reported issues and some had problems far from shore.

It is said that ethanol gasoline is not as powerful as regular gas. Also the push to ethanol may be linked to the massive push we had (under Earl Butts) to plant non feed corn. This documentary shows just how lucrative corn is to grow and where the majority of corn goes. Even if you don’t care about gasoline, do you know that much of what you buy or eat is corn-based?

Arizona, too

The push for corn-based ethanol has driven up the prices for livestock feed as well. And corn silage plays a big prt of the diets of both beef and dairy animals. Dairy’s especially hard-hit because they need a high-enrgy feed for good production. Corn silage is one of the highest energy feeds available for them. More ethanol means higher ice cream prices.

And most small engine manufacturers have, in the last 5 years or so, placed warnings regarding the use of gasoline containing ethanol and warns that using any fuel over E-10 and/or 10% ethanol will void the warranty.

Most poultry feed is also heavily corn based.