Best Cell Phone Plans and Deals Right Now

My sibling raves about Ting. I am considering it as my current provider is making a billing change I don’t like.

I had Ting years ago, around 2014-18. They were great, but my usage increased, and the pricing made my bill higher than I cared to pay. But I may look at them again. They got bought out by Dish, so I wasn’t sure if the quality of Ting had gone down. Thanks for the info!

I have been using Ting for 7 years and had no increases. In fact, when I called about something a few years ago, the guy said he could cut my monthly a la carte bill of $25 to now about $15. I love it!

Which plan are you on? They seem to have some prepaid plans (Flex plan etc), but also the post-paid plan as they had years ago, based on usage.

I think they called it Legacy or something like that. It appears to cover everything (no more a la carte) and my bills are still around $16 a month. I use the phone more and more these days. I get 5G through their T-Mobile partnership (or whatever it is that allows Ting to use their towers). It’s the best financial move I have ever made.

I have been using T-Mobile for years. Coverage is iffy, highway especially. I’ve been testing Consumer Cellular for abt 4 months. It’s iffy too. I surf more than talk so coverage and speed is imperative.

T-Mobile was better b4 teaming with lousy Sprint. ConCell is nothing to call home about. They use lousy TM and ATT towers. When I have good signal they are great. I require better. :grin:

My sister has Verizon postpaid on an iPhone 4. She had constant service on the highway. Mine are prepaid services running on Motorola G Power 2021. I’m going to try Verizon prepaid next. Ahh, the joys of an unlocked phone. :wink:

Have you considered an MVNO carrier? They run on T-Mobile, ATT, or Verizon, but are cheaper.
Of course this depends on your usage, needs, and geography.

Over the years I have been with Ting (4 years), Republic Wireless (5 years-then it got bought out and is now Boost Infinte), and now I have my main phone on US Mobile (Verizon) and my 2nd emergency/spare phone on Tello (T-Mobile).
I use very little data because I don’t stream stuff. But with these plans you can get more data if you are about to run out.

I currently pay $10/month with US Mobile (talk/text, and 1GB data/month, $2/GB if extra data needed).
On Tello, since it’s a 2nd emergency/spare phone, I have a minimal plan of talk/text and 500 MB data/month (which can be rolled over and accumulate). I pay $6/month.
So my monthly cell phone bill is $16/month, and I have both Verizon and T-Mobile.
I am just too frugal to pay lots of money for a phone plan where I will never use unlimited data!!
I have unlocked Moto phones which are not expensive.

I’ve been very happy with all of the carriers, but changed to a new carrier as my needs or the company’s situation changed.

Geographically, I am on the edge of coverage for all 3 carriers, but I get enough signal to call and send MMS messages most of the time. Fine with me! If I go about 4 blocks away, my signal increases a lot!

Again, if you use lots of data, then go with an unlimited plan, but maybe consider some other carriers than stores of the big 3 carriers.

Just another option to consider–and there are a number of MVNO carriers out there to consider.

How I handle data…

I enable wifi on the phone and connect to my home Internet (Spectrum). The phone uses that when I am home and I am not having to use my data that way. It may be an obvious solution to people or perhaps not. If I was to go on a long roadtrip, I can always turn off wifi so the phone is not constantly looking for a signal and using battery.

If you have an old cellphone around the house that has once been on a network and still has a SIM card in it, then it should still be able to call 911 even without a current plan.

Also, old cellphones with wifi capability can still be useful at home for things like TV remote control. I have both TCL and Roku apps that use the wifi in an old phone to control the TV if I have temporarily misplaced the remote.

VISIBLE DEAL: New Customers Only
Unlimited Service for $20 Monthly for Two Years

I don’t know why anybody uses anything but Tracfones bought at HSN or QVC. You get a new phone every year with lots of data, talking minutes, and messages for less than $100 and NO MONTHLY BILLS. I have been using this for at least 12 years and love the deals and service. If you renew before the year is up, your data and minutes carry over to the next year. The only other expense is I have had to buy 1Gig of data 2 or 3 times over the years for $10. This year was completely free for me because Capital One Shopping paid for the whole thing.

1 Like

Fully agree! Had mine for years