Are you being asked to tip at more places recently?

What are you doing about it? Tell us about your experiences and thoughts here!

I seldom used carry out before the Pandemic, so is tipping Carry out new.

The Chinese has a tip screen on the Credit Card Terminal.
They have the usual 15, 18, 20 and “Custom”…
I generally hit Custom and left a buck.
I noticed they added a sign… For “No Tip” hit Custom and Zero.
I wonder if they had some complaints.

At another restaurant “No Tip” was offered as an Option.

I think in most cases, it’s just standard software, and that’s why it seems to be popping up in odd places.

I started tipping for carryout during the pandemic shutdown, but normally i don’t.

I was at a concert at Chastain and to get a beer, my tipping choices were 22%, 24%, and 26%! There had to be a no tip option but I couldn’t find it and how long do you want to stand there?

I am over being asked to tip when someone is handing me a drink or I stand in line to order my food and get no table service. It’s just employers shoving more costs to consumers. Just say no.

2 Likes

Many terminal suppliers and all credit card processors ask what type of business it is, because they keep track of chargeback rates and so on. I can imagine any retail location which offers services would have a tip option listed. A local farm to me offers tours and they have a tip button. Whether it is a tip and/or a way for people to give a rating on Yelp helps the business and employees.

I once worked in a service station and would often receive tips for work, even though I told them I was paid well for my job and a tip was not necessary. (in the late 1960’s, that tip for working on a vehicle was $100!) So some people want to reward good service even if not asked for. I see no issue with having a tip option. almost anywhere.

I’m okay leaving a small tip for carry out or counter service but 22%, 24% and 26% being your only choices is ridiculous. Especially if you had to stand in line for a while waiting for an overpriced beer.

I always carry some dollar bills with me. There are places where I pay cash and may not get change enough to tip. Cash also helps when you prefer to charge something but don’t want to dilute the tip by 2.9% or whatever it costs to accept a credit card payment.

Yes, now they are getting tricky and the highest tip choice 25% is on the left since that is where most people think to point to first.