Tim Worstall: "America's Real Poverty Rate Is Around And About Zero"

Let me repeat myself, “Your answer reveals a lot about how you think.”

Words like “welfare breeding”, “Kids never see a father, much less are instructed by one”, “What many see are depraved, self-centered lives”, “We have paid for the production of worthless human beings”,

These words show how you feel about the people who are not like you. And your description of the beach scenario is totally self-centered with no consideration given to the terrible consequences the victims of such an act might suffer.

It’s all about you, and how bad those other people are, isn’t it?

Whoa.
There are many issues about entitlement programs, but before condemning everyone involved, we should remember that the US once had the exact opposite: human beings owned and being put to work with no pay, to make the owners and the country rich.
We are still living with the consequences of that, and it’s a wrong that’s never really been fully acknowledged by a lot of people.

In fact, I’m convinced that some of the wealthy, corporations, and certain politicians today would gladly bring back slavery - and I’m not kidding. Capitalism’s ideal is to keep labor costs down, and so slavery would fit that ideal.

I live in somewhat rural South Carolina, the situation you describe is fairly common around here, only a lot more dramatic, 10 million dollar properties adjacent or near to god’s little acre or so with a single-wide mobile cars up on blocks.

But they’d have to provide shelter, food, and some degree of healthcare, so slavery might not fit their agenda either. Of course I’m exaggerating, but only somewhat I fear. (But it would suit the stockholders which appears to be bullet point numero uno on a lot corporate business plan’s do to lists).

However did you derive that I do not pity victims of any crime?

Perhaps in your mind breeding kids without being married on the taxpayer dime is moral behavior. I cannot imagine how anyone would disagree with that statement, but it might be.

Talk to men in jail and see how many had a father in their life that provided morals, values, and discipline in their life.

You are right. Sadly, it is socially acceptable these days to be a moocher and have kids you cannot support. I cannot believe you don’t believe it is a pity, but again I am amazed that some people have totally alien value system.

What has that got to do with the issue at hand? Does that make a Communist sympathizer like you want to distribute wealth? What does the man with the 10 million dollar property have to do with the inhabitant of a mobile home. You think somehow that one causes the other???

This might be one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read. Individuals are always free to advance their skills to what the market deems valuable. This has happened a lot during the Covid lockdown where many people moved out of the service sector into higher paying jobs. I started off in Finance making $24k per year and 25 years later I am making 10x that amount having switched to IT. I am certainly not unique in this progression thru life…

I was responding to a post by Lave… putting it politely as I can “stifle!”

First, let me congratulate you for the the insight and extraordinary skill you possess in the selection of your parents. But it appears that, even with that unusual and useful talent, you lack maybe a tiny bit of empathy for those of us who are not so innately skilled.

Let me introduce the novel idea that maybe, just possibly, not all of the people on whom you shower with your accusations of “worthless human being” , (your words, not mine,) do not deserve your wrath. From everything I’ve seen you say here on the forum, all they deserve is condemnation, disgust and as much jail time as possible.

Here are two words that I think you might have missed in you extensive educational experience:
COMPASSION & EMPATHY

BTW: Your repeated use of the word “pity” is to be expected, it infers superior status to the giver. Words like compassion, empathy and understanding do not.

1 Like

How many women find themselves pregnant through rape, abandoned by boyfriends or husbands, or suffering abuse and having to leave the relationship? Sure, there are some women that choose this, and depending on the woman’s stability (financial, health, psychological), it can work out. But the blame seems to always be on the woman, when many times, it’s the man who bails out and fails to raise the kids they fathered. And men can father children 24/7, 365 days per year. Women are fertile for only a short time over the course of the year. Add to that the laws against abortion or upcoming laws against birth control, and women are set up to take all of the responsibility and the blame. Men – none at all. Men are not manning up.

I really like the ideas in the book “Ejaculate Responsibly”. Men have decoupled sex from pregnancy because most of the time there is no consequence for them getting women pregnant but not fathering kids. But instead of blaming the moral failing on men, it is placed on the woman. In the end, the kids suffer.

This thread started discussing poverty rate. Somehow crime got mixed in the discussion. Probably because an disprortionate amount of crime comes from the lowest income strata, particularly male children of single teen moms.

I totally agree with you. We need to have compassion on the children of unfit mothers, especially unmarried teen mothers. We used to, prior to Great Society programs. There is little chance that a child raised by an unmarried teen mother will have a great outcome. Sure, there are exceptions.

Up until the mid 1960s, such children were either cared for in group homes like the Georgia Baptist Children’'s Home, or put up for adoption to married couples who were looking for a child to nurture. In many cases, OB/GYNs functioned as mini adoption agencies. Prospective adopting parents would pay for the baby delivery, instead of taxpayers. It was an equitable arrangement.

I went to school with many such children at the Georgia Baptist Children’s Home in Hapeville. While they did not have many luxuries of life such as expensive toys, they did receive discipline, moral instruction, help with homework, and structure. Something few teen moms can provide.

It is comical that the US Criminal Breeding Program, now in place for almost 60 years, is considered “compassionate” by many.

Answer the question yourself. How many Medicaid births are to married couples? How many pregnancies are due to rape? Is it anywhere near even 10%?

If they get pregnant and a boyfriend abandons them (and make no mistake, such males are reprehensible), the honorable thing to do is put the baby up for adoption, or extended family pay for the delivery, if determined to keep and raise the child.

As far as abandonment or imprisonment of the father, that is truly sad and not the woman’s fault. Seems to me the extended family should provide for this, as it used to. Example is Clarence Thomas being raised by his grandparents.

True, most violent or property crime happens in poorer areas.
Let’s also acknowledge that much, if not most “white collar crime” is committed by upper/middle class people, causing damage to people and communities, and is almost never punished or even publicized. The recent Murtaugh trial exposed years of a respected dynastic attorney cheating people. There’s more that we don’t ever hear about, yet it damages peoples’ lives.

Look at all of the kids in foster care. Putting a child into the system is not a good answer for most of them. Once a child is born, little is done to support them or the parent(s) who try to raise them.
I’m sure there are lawyers salivating at the chance to adopt out unwanted white babies, which people will pay for.

Unfit mothers – as usual all of the blame goes on the mother. The father? Silence.

Read this thread, written by a Mormon mother of 6 who makes the case that men are responsible for all unwanted pregnancies. It makes you think about why everyone dumps on women while letting men off scott-free.

(3) Gabrielle Blair on Twitter: “I’m a mother of six, and a Mormon. I have a good understanding of arguments surrounding abortion, religious and otherwise. I’ve been listening to men grandstand about women’s reproductive rights, and I’m convinced men actually have zero interest in stopping abortion. Here’s why…” / Twitter

Thanks for taking the low route and bringing race into a discussion that is not racial. There is a waiting list for adopting black babies as well as white.

Why are kids in foster care? Because single moms would not put them up for adoption at birth. Receiving a free delivery and handouts was more attractive. A few years pass and with no guidance the child is a mess, and nobody wants to adopt him, even if the mother gave permission. So troubled youth are passed around from one foster home to another.

Who implied men are not responsible? Not me. We see now the wisdom in the ancient cultural prohibitions against sex before marriage. A single mom raising a child is a tragedy in many ways.

Do you consider shoplifting as “white collar crime?” If so, that blows your generalization out of the water.

All crime is bad, but violent crime is considered more serious by most people as it has longer and more severe consequences. Murtaugh was both a non-violent and violent criminal.

Who says non-violent perps serve no time? A tax preparer in our community cheated an ailing woman out of her life savings, and spent several year in the Georgia State Penitentiary for it.

Do you really think an embezzler should spend as much time in prison as a murderer?