Tim Worstall: "America's Real Poverty Rate Is Around And About Zero"

How would Clark Howard respond to this piece from 2015?

Let’s not get too political in this thread.

Can’t get past the paywall on this link, but I do see it’s from 2014. I suspect, though, that the much lower figures are based on a method that considers the worldwide poverty situation, not just the U.S. I suspect many of those considered poverty-stricken in this country might qualify as rather well off in some third-world countries. Other sources contend that the “real rate” in the U.S. is actually higher than the most widely published numbers.

I won’t get political, but I will get grammatical. “Around and about zero” is redundant (each and every time).

Cost of living is definitely an overlooked measure in poverty statistics. In one area of the country, you might be able to get by much better than in another area of the country. Living in West Virginia or south central PA is a lot cheaper than living in southwest Maryland

All I can say is anyone who want a job can have 3 if they want it, the labor shortage is so severe. Young people want minimum of $15 an hour for me to train them. Untrained employees are money-losers for at least 3 months.

Anyone poor these days really has no work ethic and probably cannot manage money. Of course, it doesn’t help when the government debases the currency.

There are many reasons that people live in poverty. There are also many people of means who have never taken the opportunity, time & trouble to delve into the subject.

The education is free, it’s called volunteering.

People can work their arses off in the 3rd world and still be poor. Not so in the USA.

The number 1 predictor of poverty in the USA is teen pregnancy.

I helped fund a preacher’s feed-the-homeless program in Atlanta. He told me what Medical College of Georgia studies in Augusta had found out long ago. Virtually all the homeless population are either addicts of one sort or another, or mental cases who would not regularly take medication. Schizophrenics are high on the list of those that won’t

Agreed. People that make wrong choices in life can be homeless. For some, medications treat mental illness. But others are truly disabled and not receiving the genuine help they need because of the freeloaders who want to bum off the taxpayer

It is a rare person who has a disability that cannot perform some useful task for society. Feeling useful is a very important key to happiness and self-fulfillment.

Part of that is the war on poverty. Part of it is cultural.

We don’t teach OUR MEN to be dads. Masculinity isn’t toxic. It’s about taking care of one’s family and avoiding Peter Pan syndrome

HS is incredibly easy to graduate. You can be in remedial English, science, and history classes and get by with algebra and geometry.

Child development, learning how to cook, do household chores, iron clothes, understand basic home maintenance such as how to shut off the water supply, and learn how to budget and balance a checkbook should be a graduation requirement

Definitely agree.

But are they qua;lified?
"All I can say is anyone who want a job can have 3 if they want it"

Our son-in-law was doing a brake job on his suburban. He needed 2 clips to complete the job. To get the clips he needed to purchase a kit. Called auto zone, “the kit is not available”. Same story at NAPA. Went on line, the kit is available at a different Auto Zone. He goes to this second Auto Zone and is told they do not have the brake kit. He looks at what the employee had entered, “BREAK Kit”.

When changed to “BRAKE Kit” they had the kit.

1 Like

It is incredible the marginal employees I have had to hire and train, just to get any help at all. No social skills at all. Never in my life have I seen employees so in demand.

And the government still pays people to be on welfare and do nothing at all?!

To summarize our feelings on the subject then is has to be: "it’s those “OTHER PEOPLE,” doggone it, the ones that aren’t like US!

Yeah, that’s the problem… it’s those OTHER PEOPLE! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

After reviewing the posts on this the only way someone could come to that conclusion is if they were predisposed to do so. Creating dots that don’t exist then connecting them.

Hmmm… OK, lets connect some dots… the blame game started with post #5

#5: “Anyone poor these days really has no work ethic and probably cannot manage money. Of course, it doesn’t help when the government debases the currency.”

#6: There are many reasons that people live in poverty. There are also many people of means who have never taken the opportunity, time & trouble to delve into the subject.

The education is free, it’s called volunteering.

#7: “The number 1 predictor of poverty in the USA is teen pregnancy.” and “Virtually all the homeless population are either addicts of one sort or another, or mental cases who would not regularly take medication. Schizophrenics are high on the list of those that won’t”

#8 “:Agreed. People that make wrong choices in life can be homeless”

#9: "It is a rare person who has a disability that cannot perform some useful task for society. "

#10: “Part of that is the war on poverty. Part of it is cultural.”

#11: (in response to #9) “Definitely agree.”

#12: " But are they qualified?
"All I can say is anyone who want a job can have 3 if they want it"

“He looks at what the employee had entered, “BREAK Kit”… " When changed to “BRAKE Kit” they had the kit.”

#13: “It is incredible the marginal employees I have had to hire and train, just to get any help at all. No social skills at all”

Looks to me like they are connected, I think the average casual observer would come up with similar conclusion.

Thank you for reinforcing my point.

The posters above are describing behaviors of some people, not OTHER people that aren’t like US as you put it.

By creating unrelated dots and connecting them you turned their posts into “those OTHER PEOPLE that aren’t like us.”

Find a post that said "it’s those “OTHER PEOPLE,” doggone it, the ones that aren’t like US! Hint: there’s only one.

It’s about behaviors not “those OTHER people.”

Some people vs other people?

I suggest that if a person describes some people who are responsible for an undesirable societal situation with words like “poor,” “homeless,” “has no work ethic,” “pregnant teen,” “addicts,” “mental incompetents,” “unable to spell simple words,” and “having no social skills,” they are not describing people like themselves. They are describing people not like themselves. That makes them other people.

They are laying the blame on those other people. As in those other people who are different than themselves. Do you really think a dentist identifies with the homeless? I suggest to you that our social strata is more influenced by wealth than it is by most other socio-economic attributes.

If you mistook my use of the word “other” to refer to racial or ethnic differences then you misunderstood my intent, and connected some dots that were not present. My reponse was based solely on the descriptors in the posts that I quoted in my response.

Nicely put, and so true… and probably not the optimal way for it to occur.

Find a post that said "it’s those “OTHER PEOPLE,” doggone it, the ones that aren’t like US!

Hint: there’s only one.