The Root: "Atlanta-Based Professor Wants Students to Think Twice Before Going to College"

1 Like

It all depends on what you study and what you pay for it. Get a STEM degree from a public university and you’re fine. But you have to get some training you can’t do well just with High School. In the past, not now

Clark often takes the position that getting a degree isn’t for everyone, and often mentions going to community college first. I think he’s right that once you graduate, what you’ve got on your work resume becomes more important than where you’ve graduated from.

I just heard one of my freinds’ kids got her high school diploma and her Associates Degree from the community college at the same time! What a smart kid!

2 Likes
1 Like

I told my kids they could get any 4 year degree they wanted because I figured the first degree is all about being away at college on their own, and not trying to maximize anything. I figured, correctly, that they’d go on past their undergraduate work anyway, once they ‘found themselves’. One daughter got a double major electrical/computer engineering and biomedical engineering. Went on to get a masters. The other daughter got a “useless” degree: art with English minor, but went into data analytics and shot up to the top of a small company doing that, which she loves doing. So unless you in a spot where you really should be pinching pennies, the college degree doesn’t always have to be about ROI.

Making a living is about bringing something of value to those who are willing to pay you to solve a problem for them. They define how important that problem is in dollars.

Since other people are going to decide how much money you will make, the more you learn about people, and what makes them tick, and how they make decisions, the better prepared you will be to earn a living.

In preparation for that scenario it makes sense to first learn about people, what problems they have and how they make decisions. Then get educated in the science, art and skills of problem solving.

It’s actually a lot easier and more fun than it sounds. And a college degree is entirely optional, and in more cases than not, unnecessary.

1 Like

I looked at the list and I disagree with the conclusions of the unnamed and anonymous author.

Although the website appears legitimate, and has decent security and useability ratings, the names of the underlying sponsors and organization is opaque and difficult or impossible to see. There’s usually a reason for lack of transparency in a site specializing in “public service” information. That reason is usually based on profit or mischief.

It could be, and likely is, a lead-generating tool designed to attract lucrative subscriptions from lesser-known educational organizations to surreptitiously advertise their institutions.

I enjoyed reading an item about a guy who got a degree in Ancient Egyptian but could not find a job in the field. So he went for a PHD in it so he could teach it.

I wonder if he had to get student loans for this.