Not satisfied with capital one

Capital One has been a pain in the craw. I wish Clark would not recommend the Quicksilver card.

I purchased Kiwi Co on 12/17/2021. The merchant denied the request because the transaction auto-renewed on 12/1/2022. I worked it out with the merchant for a prorated refund of $204.05 but I must cancel the dispute with Capital One. This is the first time I would have lost a dispute with a CC company

Because the charge was on 12/5/2022, I am concerned that the 60 day dispute window will close on 2/3/2023. Capital One is saying they’re following Mastercard procedures. They now say they cannot cancel the dispute

I don’t know if I need to go thru the CFPB or if I can go thru the OCC. the OCC was helpful 15 years ago with the Macys card. They closed my account but I was not liable for $850 in charges

Easy cashback redeeming is the only reason I keep this card. It is not friendly with chrome browser, arrogant CSR… the list goes on. Unfortunately I don’t know a quick and easy solution to your problem - just venting…

1 Like

I never had any trouble with them when I was using that card, but I just recently moved everything to the Citi Double Cash card. Now I can’t get alerts to work on that card even though they work fine on the Costco Citi Visa Card. Called Customer No service several times and they can’t seem to fix it. All they do is try the same things over and over and keep telling them that none of that works and they need to get someone from the tech team involved. Grrrr.

Smartpolitics… From your post I’m not sure exactly what your issue is. Perhaps you should try and re-explain it?

As far as Capital One I have their Visa card that pays 1% back and like the way it pays out automatically when the reward hits $25. Nice to not have to track it. Also, their virtual credit card implementation is FANTASTIC! (Light years ahead of Citibank). Use it with the “Uno” Google Chrome extension and it will automatically pop-up on a website’s checkout page to generate (or recall) a unique virtual number for that vendor. Finally, management of your virtual numbers is a breeze and numbers can easily be activated or deactivated easily.

All that said I find myself using the Citi Mastercard more often because of the 2% cash back in spite of Citibank’s lack of convenience features that Capital One has.

1 Like

I would also express dissatisfaction with capital one, if it would be acceptable to the forum moderators.

For a few years I had an ING direct I think it was, savings that got bought and became C-1 360. No problem until I decided to apply for QS card and they sent me a $500 credit limit “platinum” card instead. A few months later I bit on the offer of QS card with a promo kickback of $200, I think, after spending some modest amount. Note that I keep credit scores over 800.

BIG mistake! They actually sent me a QS card with another stupid low credit limit. I then called to confirm that my account would get the rebate if I followed the rulez. Rep advised that my account did NOT qualify for the offer! They also failed and refused to make it so! I then promptly terminated ALL business with the institution.

The BIG mistake though remains to haunt me as I have a couple of inquiries within a few months, and a couple of new accounts which are both fully paid off and closed. But my stellar credit score is worthless just because of those C-1 inquiries and accounts. Won’t make that mistake again.

I will be too

All of my disputes with Chase and PenFed have been so much easier. Capital one misread the contract and was not budging. The contract said Dec 2022: it never said Dec 1, 2022. To me, this ambiguity should mean Dec 17. The merchant appears to agree but is waiting on Capital One to close the dispute. I do wish Capital One was sanctioned for not handling the dispute properly

The reason why you dispute a transaction is to preserve your rights within the 60 day period. Whether the merchant honors the refund or not, I’ll be closing all business with Capital One and I wish millions of other people would do the same

I am an extremely satisfied customer. I use the Venture card and the rewards pay a lot of my traveling expenses. They have very tight security. On occasion they will decide that a charge is suspicious and the.first notification would be when your card is denied because they locked the account. It used to irritate me until my bank account was hacked. I was at a medical conference with some 20,000 attendees and my daughter texted me to send her money. I did not think to disconnect from the public wifi. I am surprised how the bad guys can find out in such a crowd who is contacting a financial institution. The first $2500 fraudulent wire went through but when they tried it again CapitalOne contacted me. My accounts were frozen and I was given new numbers. They reimbursed the very last penny. Right now their savings account pays 3.3%. Not the highest but decent.

I had an ING Direct account and was worried when it was taken over by CapitalOne. I have had no problems.

My plus for them was that I was able to create a business account and cash checks made out to my business, all for free. I still use that account. Not a big deal, but a free business account? Priceless! (no really, no price)

Is Capital One’s virtual card implementation still the best out there? I have the free VentureOne Visa, I love the virtual card numers and their management, also the no foreign currency fees (if you decline currency translation at point of sale, of course), but the rewards are skinny, less than 1%.

I’d go to a card with as good virtual card implementation as Capital One but better rewards, and I’d pay a fee for it if the rewards were quite good, but not the $500+ fee category of fee!

Maybe I have to apply for another card in the Capital One family? Is Capital One Travel any good?

Venture rewards ($95 fee)

• Earn unlimited 5 miles per dollar on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel

VentureX rewards ($395 fee)

• Earn unlimited 10X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel
  • Earn unlimited 5X miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel

Is Capital One the company that reported your credit limit as your outstanding balance, which then tanked your credit score ? If so, have they fixed that problem ?

I remember Clark used to talk about one specific company…I just cant remember which one it was…

I wonder if my issue was more with Mastercard than Capital One and how they handle disputes.

But yes I also had an issue with Capital One approving me when I had a debt to credit limit ratio of 25%, consumer DTI of 20% or less, and a 793 credit score which was the lowest of my three at the time.

I was happy that Kiwi Co had reimbursed me for 11 of the 12 months but I was definitely frustrated with Capital One’s handling of the dispute whether it was their own policy or their use of Mastercard’s policy

I think I answered my own questions.

VentureOne gives you 1.25 miles per dollar, Venture gives you 2 miles per dollar. Assuming each mile is worth 1.85 cents, you have to spend $571 per month to recover the $95 fee.

I’d have to stop using my Fidelity Rewards card, but $0.037 in miles is certainly better than $0.02 in cash.

I don’t have a Cap One card, but don’t see how their VCC system is better than Citi’s. I can’t compare them but Citi’s VCC’s are simple to create and manage.

Hi Robertpri… some ways the Capital One VCC system is better than Citi’s is that assign VCC’s by merchant. That is a nice feature because if things go south you know where the problem came from.
Additionally they have a Chrome extension “Uno”. When you reach checkout a dialog will pop up and show your existing VCC for that merchant or prompt you to create one if it doesn’t already exist. From the pop-up, you can also turn on or off the VCC. Citi doesn’t have anything close to that! Finally, I’d venture to say that until you see and experience the Capital One VCC implementation you don’t know what your missing… all the best to you…

Many thanks, but based on this, I don’t see any meaningful difference. Citi does exactly the same thing. I have about 15 Citi VCC’s, with each one assigned to just one merchant.

Cap probably has the same feature, the ability for me to set the expiration date. For example, if I buy a one year sub to say, MS360 today, 11/7/23, I set the expire date to 8/7/24. When it comes due, the VCC is no good so MS360 sends me a notice the card failed.

If I want to keep it, I change the expire date and resubmit. If I don’t want it, I simply ignore it and my sub expires.

I love this feature so when I’m gone, my heirs don’t have to figure a way to kill all these autopays. They all just expire.