Mint Budgeting Site

I have been using Mint for years to keep up with spending and budgeting, so I was very disappointed when I heard they are merging with Credit Karma and I may lose the functionality I rely on.

Last night I signed up for Quicken Simplifi, connected accounts, and started exploring. It basically has the same functions as Mint, and I actually think it will be easier to use for what I am needing. It is more user friendly in several ways I have discovered already. The cost is only $2.99 per month.

1 Like

Glad to see that you’re enjoying your Quicken Simplifi experience, and you’re saving money because it’s cheaper! Sounds like a win/win for you! We will check it out and possibly add to our list of alternatives. :green_heart:

FOR OTHERS: When Mint goes away, what are you going to use? Will you stick with Credit Karma or find another budgeting app? Let us know! If you haven’t decided, here are a few alternatives:

I’m still using Quicken 2002!! Still works on Windows 10 and doesn’t cost me anything! The only hassle is it uses QIF format for importing CC data. Most CC’s don’t support it but all the ones I have support CSV files. I have been using an Excel add-in app, XL2QIF to convert from CSV to QIF. Still works like a charm for over 20 years!!

2008 for me. I just enter in everything manually and don’t bother with exporting/importing. I got tired of buying new versions of Quicken every 3 years as they would change the bank file formats to force you to “upgrade” even though they didn’t bother to fix any of the bugs.

I charge almost everything so I may have 50 or more charges on one card a month. Much easier to import even with the conversion.

But that is also why I stuck with 2002. Got sick of all the format changes to try and force you to upgrade. The 2002 version still has all the features I need and I have all my data back to 1999!

Mint has been the main budgeting app used for the financial literacy course where I volunteer.Hopefully there will be a clark.com article reviewing the pros and cons of budgeting with Credit Karma after the merger.

I am working on finding a replacement for mint. First, I am trying PocketGuard, but I can tell already, it isn’t going to work. The deal breaker for me is that it does not allow manual transactions. I need to be able to add future ebill payments and checks manually, so I can tell how much money I have in my checking account. Anyone have any recommendations for a free app that allows manual entries?

It looks like Empower also does not have the ability to add manual transactions: https://support-personalwealth.empower.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010572427-Can-I-Manually-Add-Transactions-to-My-Accounts-.

What are other people doing for keeping their checking account balanced? With online bill payment, linked transfers, and checks; there are many future debits/credits. Just knowing the balance at the moment is fine for my credit card, but I need manual entries for a checking/ebill account.

I’ve been using You Need a Budget for years. A recent problem I’ve encountered is importing transactions from SoFi bank. They are aware of the problem and they say they are working on it. YNAB does allow manual transaction entry. I’ve investigate Quicken for Mac and Simplifi neither of which do category balance rollovers to the next month. That was a deal breaker for me. Quicken interface is not user friendly. YNAB does only budgeting for bank/credit card transactions, not investment tracking and no online bill pay.

I have decided to use gnucash to do my checkbook balancing, since none of the free apps have this capability. I believe I started with gnucash 20+ years ago. IIRC, my journey to Mint was: gnucash to MoneyDance to Mint.

I set up gnucash to have just my checking account and “Income” and “Expenses” categories, the bare bones to balance my checking account.

I will not download transactions into gnucash, but enter transactions manually and reconcile them with the balance from whatever budgeting app I end up using.

Whatever account you use to pay bills needs to have the ability to track/reconcile money in/out to make sure you don’t overdraft. And this use case really doesn’t have to be baked into your budgeting app.

I will sign up for one of the free budgeting sites to get an overall picture of my finances (budgeting, net worth).

I’m not going to pay Intuit (or any other company) even a few dollars a month. The last thing I need is another subscription. Especially with Intuit, who it seems clear is shutting down Mint to force users to their paid software vs. providing an incentive for users to want to move/pay.

I am going to use gnucash to balance/reconcile my checking account. I will set up a single account, “Checking”, with just “Income” and “Expenses” categories. I will not download transactions but enter the manually. I only have ~10 transactions/month (almost everything paid by credit card).

I will also sign up for one of the free budgeting sites/apps to get an overall picture of my finances (budgeting, net worth). I’m not sure which one yet.

I think it’s critical to have the ability to balance/reconcile the account you pay your bills. Mint seems to be the only free app that allowed entering manual transactions, something you need to do in order to balance your checking account. However, Mint doesn’t have true reconciling functionality like gnucash does, so I will actually be better off without Mint for this use case.

My plan is to move forward with a free solution. The last thing I need is another subscription.

I’ve used Mint online for a long time. I’m currently doing a 30-day trial with Monarch. I imported my Mint data and then spent some time adjusting categories. So far it seems to be working well. I’ll probably pay the fee once the trial ends (right now there’s a discount for Mint users).

This information from Rob Berger may be helpful for those looking for Mint alternatives. Berger is a former deputy editor of Forbes who has popular articles and YouTube videos. The alternatives that he evaluates include most of the apps that have been mentioned in this thread.

Update: I ended up going with Empower for my “overall financial health” use case. Wow, it’s amazing, way better than Mint. Much nicer user interface and features (e.g. daily emails). No adds!

And gnucash works great for my use case of balancing my checking account. I can now view my expected balance on any given day, something I couldn’t do in Mint. It also shows the correct balance. I had forgotten about a Mint bug where the balance is not correct.

I’m not missing Mint at all. It actually forced me to re-evaluate and move to better solutions.

I think it makes much more sense to have 2 apps because balancing your checkbook and getting an overall picture of your financial health are 2 entirely different things. In fact, I think there is a market opportunity for someone to provide an app that only balances your checking account.

Wish I’d seen this yesterday when I finally gave in and allowed Credit K. to import all of my MINT transactions. I’m totally lost in this new format and it did not import CC’s or Bank Accts or seem to give a budgeting tool at all. I see no value yet and I am now unable to get back into Mint.

I switched to Monarch and am happy with it.