How to pay bills after I die (!)

That was true with my dad, too, but Vanguard/Fidelity/etc. still wanted ME to submit a copy along with all the other paperwork. Same trust, 2 trustees, 2 copies of the trust document.

Fifteen?

Yes, just in case. I needed to get wife’s name off many accts, three banks, VG, TRP, etc, along with house deed, auto papers, insurances [several policies] utilities, trash, water, power, etc. I was astounded at the number.

The first D-certs were easy, but had to play the godawful city hall games for more. When thinking of everywhere my name appears as owner, I suggested fifteen.

After my wife passed away, I did some serious downsizing. This includes eliminating unnecessary accounts, canceling magazine subscriptions, stopping memberships and service subscriptions, etc. I also started going through the house to sell or donate items that are not needed. Children today do not want things like china sets, holiday decorations, old clothing, furniture, old photos, etc. The list goes on. Items that may have sentimental value have little or no value to those who may inherit them.

I also made sure that all of my accounts have a beneficiary, or a POD (payable on death) assigned to the account. I updated all of my estate planning documents too.

Document everything on paper. Put the documents in a safe place and make sure the eventual executor knows where the documents are. Do not rely on online places to store such documents and do not rely on a safe deposit box. Those locations may be inaccessible after a person dies.

One other thing, if you are a survivor for someone who dies, please make sure that person’s name is removed from all accounts and documents. This may sound cold, but it is necessary. I had a nephew who lost his mother. A couple of years later, his father passed away. He was responsible for all the business details following his father’s death. He discovered that his mother had never been removed from any legal documents. This included bank accounts, car ownership and loans, home ownership, and more. He told me it was a nightmare to clear everything up and, in some cases, it cost him money to get everything right.

1 Like

That’s about what I needed when my parents and my husband passed.

The more accounts there are, including non monetary things like physicians or memberships, the more you may need.

I was surprised even my utilities needed D-certs. Every one.

I guess I didn’t make myself clear.

I was asking if robertpri has given 15 copies of the trust document to his successor trustee. I’m afraid that he thinks that since he has given a copy of his trust document to his bank, Vanguard, TRP, etc (he had to, in order to change the title to the trust), that all his successor trustee will need to do is submit a death certificate. That thinking was wrong when I became successor trustee for my dad’s trust 20 years ago. My dad’s trust document named me as successor trustee, he submitted that trust document to Vanguard, Fidelity, etc., but after he died, I still had to submit a copy of the same trust document in order for them to recognize me as successor trustee. I know this doesn’t make sense, but that is the way it is (or was). I only had 2 copies of the trust, so everything got put on hold while I contacted the attorney to ask him to send me more copies.

So, knowing that robertpri is doing his best (an impressive job, IMHO) to make it quick and easy for his heirs, I am suggesting that he inquire with various places about what they’re gonna need from his successor trustee and get 15 copies of the trust document if that’s what they require.

I hope that’s clearer than mud now.

Also while I’m thinking of it, personal representatives/successor trustees will also need authority from the court or the trust document if they ever need to talk to the state or feds about tax returns.

Sorry, I was not clear. I meant 15 death certs.

In my case, the funeral home obtained the death certificates and enough copies for what I would need. They sent them to me, and I did not have to endure the ordeal of going to a government office to get them.

There are two types of death certificates. One type will show the cause of death. The second type does not have the cause of death information. Make sure you have copies of both types.