Dress Shirt Laundering

Prior to the Pandemic, I was paying 1.75 to get a dress shirt laundered and returned on a hanger. I am now paying 2.50.
What are you paying.

===
It is a small Ma&Pa Cleaners… good folks. I know they were hit hard as folks worked from home, needed far less Cleaner services.
They have been great, conveniently located and I will likely stay with them… but that is quite a rise.

What is this dress shirt of which you write?

1 Like

??? Is this a joke?

A long sleeve cotton shirt (white, stripe or pattern) with collar either button down or regular.

I need exact sleeve length shirts so these work for me.

I haven’t had a shirt laundered by a cleaners since I retired 23 years ago. I think I have worn a shirt and tie 4 times in that time frame, 2 funerals, a wedding and a SIL doctorate graduation. After wearing them for 30+ years, I was and am pretty much done. I am also down to one suit and one sport coat, after having 8-10 suits when I retired. Can’t remember the last time I wore one. Dry cleaners have become an endangered species around here.

Wife got tired of ironing them. She is entitled to SOME Retirement too. We can afford it.
I agree about Weddings and Funerals.

Because of the sleeve length, I buy dress shirts that are patterned like Sports shirts… not white.
I can get them at Land’s End, Costco (occasionally) and Kohl’s Mail Order.

My arms are short for my neck size. Let’s leave it there. :grinning:

====
While on the subject: Lands End is the best source for odd combination sizes. Shirts or Pants. I love their Khakis, exact length and deep pockets. Watch for sales and stock up.

Haven’t had any success there. I have found that LL Bean offers the best size combos for me. They are a little pricey, but I get sale emails from them a few times during the year.

I guess I am in the minority. Although my ‘dress shirts’ are aloha wear, if I am going to an event, I iron them myself (I am retired). A bit of spray sizing (lighter than starch) and I am on my way.

The last time I had something laundered (other that wash and dry) was in the late 60’s.

I’m allergic to any shirts requiring ironing… a fact my wife brought to my attention about 15 years ago… :nerd_face:

Exactly. My wardrobe is mostly tees and polos that do not require ironing. I rarely wear a shirt that requires ironing.

1 Like

"Old Dirty Shirt," also known as DJ Larry Walton, whose deep baritone voice and well-defined sense of the absurd and off-air antics amused Baltimore-area radio listeners for nearly three decades, was found dead of pneumonia last week at his apartment in Portland, Ore.

He was 61.

During his broadcasting career, he worked for nearly every Baltimore station at one time or another. He spun records and chatted from the studios of WCBM, WJZ, WITH and WFBR, and in the process developed a cult of devoted listeners.

He was described in a 1974 article in the Sun Magazine as “gristle and skin, [with] a bad temper and quick wit. He’s 41, intelligent and often unkempt. But beneath that scruffy exterior beats a heart as pure as . . . as pure as . . . harbor water.”

“He used to make up these characters like Old Dirty Shirt to amuse us when we were kids,” said Sue Stone, a daughter who lives in Vancouver, Wash.

“He was a wonderful storyteller who brought to life on the radio these characters he created. Everywhere he went, people loved him.”

A few years ago I was getting them done for under $2 each I think, as late wife never did anything but wash and some of them got too wrinkly to be passable.

New bride, however, is a quilter and she irons everything even tee shirts! I wash 'em and she irons what a deal! Oh I did buy her a fancy “jumping” iron (Oliso) to make it easier.

1 Like