Do you already have an EV or plan to buy one in the next couple years?

Yes, this does not add up at all. For most chargers these days all you need is a 220 Volt outlet. Telsas get about 3-4 miles per kWh. If you drive 15000 miles per year, that’s 5,000 kWh at 3 miles per kWh. Where I live, it’s about $0.08 per kWh, or $400 per year for 5,000 kW, if I charge at home. if you’re in CA, it might be $0.25 per kWh, or $1200 per year. So, either he’s paying $4 per kWh (which nobody does), or he’s driving 750,000 miles per year. Neither is likely, or even possible for that matter.

Even lavarock in Hawaii pays only $0.46 per kWh.

And just for fun, to drive 750,000 miles per year you have to drive 85 mph every hour for the whole year.

post deleted by H200h

When Jane posted it was sent to my email inbox. I came here to comment to find she deleted her post. Not sure why, but most of what she said was incorrect.

Most Prius’s are not plug-ins and so have nothing to do with your electricity costs.

My Model 3 Tesla has a 75 kw battery and I pay a premium for my electricity since I’m on a solar panel plan here in N Texas, 0.20 cents per kWh. The cost for a full charge 0-100% would be $15 for about 330 miles of range. A car getting 30 mpg would need 11 gallons for that range @$3 (the average price in Texas) = $33. More than twice as much.

Oh…it’ll be proven… just not in OUR lifetimes.

No, I am not planning on buying an EV, but I would recommend hybrids. I do not think most people will want to pay the high price to replace EV batteries. For others that live in housing units or large apartment rentals, they will have difficulty getting in line to charge their vehicles. EVs right now are not equipped to work well in cold climates, so those people are better off with other vehicles. There’s also going to be a huge fossil fuel issue down the line. My friends are car people and they all say we’re not ready for EVs yet, so we’re sticking with our hybrids or gas vehicles for now.

1 Like

Retired now, but when working, I had a 90 mile RT to work. I would have considered a hybrid, but my trusty Honda would not wear out.

Been waiting a couple of years to buy a new vehicle. Waiting on prices to crack. Looks like that may happen in the next few months, already seeing some of it in trucks. EV is not a consideration.

Largely a myth, and comparable to an engine or transmission replacement. People often just replace a gas vehicle at that point as well (but some do the repair).

Hopefully not the same ones who told you that you get better gas mileage if you fill up when you have more than 1/4 tank left.

I don’t agree with this blanket statement. If you’re buying an EV and plan to travel long distances, then I agree the infrastructure is not there yet and you could run into issues. But, if you’re planning to just use it around town and charge it in the garage, then we are “there”. This is why we decided to get a plugin hybrid and, eventually, an EV. We could use the EV most of the time then hop in the hybrid when we want to travel. I would get the EV now but my Honda Fit at 163k miles and 40 mpg is still going strong and probably will for years to come. But I will replace it in the next couple of years with an EV.

1 Like

That describes he current EV situation perfectly. In Feb 2022 we had a chance to retire our 2012 Sonata with 65k miles and a new engine and gift it to family member in need. My wife and I are both retired and do some 1k to 2k round-trip sessions a year. We have a ICE-powered 2017 3-row Santa Fe SUV that gets decent highway mileage, 24-28 mpg, but most of our drivetime is local, less than 100 mi roundtrip.

In Feb 2022 we bought our Volvo XC-40 Recharge BEV. It’s exciting to drive, very comfortable and the cheapest thing to drive I’ve ever owned. In the first year of ownership we put 6,000 around-town miles on it for a total fuel and maintenance cost of $258.

The Volvo cost us just under $60k and the home charger plus professional installation was $1k. We received an EV and charger purchase tax credit of $7,900, ($7,500 + $400) back from the IRS when we filed our FIT return for 2022 this year.

If you really want to know what it’s like to own an EV, ask someone who owns one. We have several friends who have done what we have, and they all rave about their EV’s. One lady took an extended trip through the NW Us and Canada in her new Kia EV6 with her 3 kids and left her husband home and had a great time.

My wife and I don’t plan to use our Volvo for extended trips but, given the same circumstances we wouldn’t hesitate to do the EV purchase all over again.

If you’re a one person one car family, maybe EV isn’t the way to go right now. If you don’t own your own home and live in a large apartment building and don’t have a charging setup, or that many people have to share a charging setup, it might not work well if you need to be charged up for work everyday. If you own an EV and have to travel a fairly long distance to and from your job each day, charging up both ways could be stressful. I have a friend who lives in a nice apartment building, but they either have zero or one charging station that everyone would have to share. I’m not sure how this would work out for those who get home after 6pm and have to charge before bedtime. I have a very nice duplex unit, but it is not equipped with a charging station either. It’s very likely that my landlord would not pay extra to install one. I think the EV is fine for my other friend, who owns an EV, but just drives around town, doesn’t need to go to work, and has installed a charging unit in their garage.

Sure, everyone’s situation is different which makes an EV workable or not. EV’s are a great option for some and not so much for others for reasons like you pointed out.

I don’t know where you got your information, but here’s a few facts:
#1. Volvo, a Swedish carmaker, is committed to 100% EV cars by 2030.
#2. Stockholm, Sweden’s capitol and largest city, is located at latitude 60.1282° N. latitude, Anchorage, Alaska’s capitol is located at 61.2176° N. latitude. That’s 65 miles difference from the north pole… It gets cold in both places in the winter time.
#3. Swedish residents buy LOTS of EVs.

They work fine in cold weather, just the performance degrades. Even my ICE car performance degrades some in cold weather. Performance also degrades with a headwind, just like my ICE car.

Sounds similar to the story my Granpa related to me about what happened when the horseless carriage first made the scene back in the early 1900’s.

'Cept as I remember the way it went back then… it was the guys who worked at the horse stable who felt just like your “car people” friends… and I think the guy who sold buggy whips agreed with them. :nerd_face:

Well, we’re way past the time of horse and buggy lol. You stick to your EVs and we’ll decide when the time is right for us. Right now, EVs will not work for everyone in every situation.

Will probably be buying a new vehicle this summer, an EV not on the list.

My main concern is the supply of electricity! I live in an area that is known for its abundant power, yet this past winter we experience our first rolling blackouts!!

1 Like

How often does your electricity go out? And when it does, can you pump gas into your car?

The Ford Lightning EV can supply your house with electricity during those rolling blackouts.