Are We Nearing the EV Tipping Point?

That sounds a bit anti-capitalist to me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Heh, as compared to forcing Americans to buy EV’s?

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. You can keep your 1995 Chevy for as long as you want.

Nobody will force you to buy catastrophic storm insurance either, and THAT’s gonna get pretty expensive. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, that is old news. The Japanese triggered out automakers to do better, which they did, in spades. The Japanese could not keep up and many had to move their factories to the US to compete. I have worked on several Japanese plants around Gadsden, AL, where parts are made for Japanese cars. The Japanese homeland is in a shambles, with falling birthrates, no job expansion, a collection of old retired people. Now the same thing is happening here in the US.

I’m not sure where you get your information, but here are the facts;

There are no US car manufacturers in th top ten of Consumer Reports’ Most Reliable auto makers

That Rivian score is really surprising. I mean there are just not that many moving parts in the EV powertrain. I’m guessing these are mostly related to manufacturing defects or fit & finish? I know Tesla went through a lot of those earlier on…

I had the same reaction. It must be because of the many pitfalls of bringing a totally new vehicle to market starting from scratch.

My Volvo is way down the CR list but I’ve never had even a hiccup with it. I’m fairly techno-literate and don’t run into many problems with working my way through logical and well-designed procedures and user interfaces. I find the EV knowledge level of my local dealership pretty limited.

Because a company has a Japanese name doesn’t mean that it manufactures most of its vehicles in Japan. There are several former-all-Japanese companies that make the majority of the cars they sell in the US in US factories with US workers! Some of these factories are joint ventures with US companies. The reason is simple economics. Japan started with one big car-making advantage after WW2—cheap labor. They morphed the labor into a technology advantage, but neither economic advantage lasted. Their workers eventually demanded fair wages, and technology is transportable, buy-able, and steal-able. With few natural resources in the islands, it made sense to move vehicle manufacturing to the place where most customers and resources were- - - except for mainland China, where to open a factory you first have to donate 51% of your company to the Chinese government. As explained by Dr. Cherry, my Economics Geography instructor. He was a character. “Hello, my name is Cherry, and I am the last one in this college! Did you know there is a tribe in Africa that have the longest penises in the world? Wait! Don’t leave in a hurry, girls. The next plane to Africa doesn’t leave for two days, so you have plenty of time!”

Oh! … NOW I think I understand where you are coming from… :roll_eyes:

It’s your EDUCATION!

You said it, buddy. Lack of education on basic finance and economics is a big failing of US schools and colleges.

Sniff… :smiling_face_with_tear: … NOW you’ve gone and hurt my feelings… I’m nuthin but a high-school dropout.

In a nutshell… they tried to sell a vehicle that not enough people wanted.

“We are proud of our achievements, and we have put thousands of Fisker Ocean SUVs in customers’ hands in both North American and Europe. But like other companies in the electric vehicle industry, we have faced various market and macroeconomic headwinds that have impacted our ability to operate efficiently. After evaluating all options for our business, we
determined that proceeding with a sale of our assets under Chapter 11 is the most viable path forward for the company.”

It’s not a new thing. It’s happened at least 297 times before.

Yeah,
I don’t know why the Fisker spokesperson referenced the EV industry in their bankruptcy.

“But like other companies in the electric vehicle industry, we have faced various market and macroeconomic headwinds that have impacted our ability to operate efficiently.”

That’s what FOX News says, here’s what Forbes says:
“Clean energy and Mark Twain aren’t usually connected, but paraphrasing his famous quote is apt: The reports of electric vehicle sales’ death are greatly exaggerated.”

No
Fox has quoted a Fisker spokesperson. We can forget about Fox.
Here is the announcement directly from Fisker.

“[L]ike other companies in the electric vehicle industry, we have faced various market and macroeconomic headwinds that have impacted our ability to operate efficiently.”

Well…the last time GM and Chrysler were in financial trouble…we bailed them out instead of letting them go bankrupt. Now, we all know why this happened and it was politically motivated, but sometimes you just need to let companies fail…

What do you expect them to say? You want the guy to say “we screwed up and it’s our fault!”…?

It’s never the company’s fault.You know that.

And your linked FOX News article is in it to support the political views of their right-wing readership with the “EVs bad - gas guzzlers good” mantra. But you already knew that.

I just finished the book “Bailout - How Washington Abandoned Main Street While Rescuing Wall Street,” by Neil Barofsky. It was an eye-opening read.

That’s why it caught my eye when he referenced the EV industry as a whole.

As I stated I was just using Fox as a link were Fisker was quoted. Then I provided the direct press link from Fisker. Nothing political about it. But I guess we see what we place in front of ourselves.

1 Like