USAA Refuses to Pay Claim that I was Found not at Fault

On Jan 14, 2023, I was involved in a 4-car accident in which I was not at fault, per the police report. I was the number two car of three waiting at the light to make a left turn. A Toyota Tacoma truck slammed into the car behind me forcing it to hit me in the rear. The force of the impact caused my car to hit the rear of the car in front of me.  I sustained both front and rear damage to my car.  No one was hurt.
I carry a $1000 deductible.  My insurance company, USAA, offered me $1,514.35. The total damage was $2514.35. According to USAA, they determined that I was not at fault, but want to charge the deductible.   What should I do?

I’m no expert, but usually in an accident like this, the insurance for the auto driver in the rear pays all the claims. This would mean the driver of the Tacoma’s insurance would pay for your repairs unless you are in a no-fault state. Why didn’t this happen?

I would expect that once USAA subrogates against the at fault insurance you will get your deductible back.

1 Like

Both parties involved have the same insurance. What I’m hearing from USAA is that he doesn’t have enough coverage. I don’t see that as my problem.

1 Like

Correct

Collision coverage has a deductible. In your case $1000.
Fault has nothing to do with it.

They will try to go after the at-fault carrier/driver for the deductible on your behalf. If as you say there is not enough coverage, you may go after him personally.

This is what a deductible is. Fault has nothing to do with it