The 4% rule becomes the 3% rule (as if you needed this bad news)

Because of the risks facing a fully-valued stock market after a dramatic 13 year long rise from the March 2009 low, and due to the rise of inflation, and because bonds are getting hit due to rising interest rates, a couple of authoritative sources are saying that retirees should pare back their expectations for what stock & bond portfolio can deliver over the coming years.

Morningstar advises retirees use a 3.3% withdrawal rate. Wade Pfau is advising a 2.8% withdrawal rate. In other words, think of 3%, not 4%. I know, that’s not what people wanted to hear.

So if you have $100,000 in retirement accounts, those accounts can reliably only generate $3,000 per year or $250 per month in retirement income over a 30 year retirement, and giving yourself annual raises to match inflation.

Who is Wade Pfau, PhD? He is Professor of Retirement Income in the PhD in Financial and Retirement Planning program, Co-Director of the American College Center for Retirement Income, and RICP ® program director at The American College of Financial Services. Pfau is a co-editor of the Journal of Personal Finance.

And if you are taking RMDs from tax deferred accounts, the IRS sets withdrawal rates - currently 3.65% at age 72 and escalating each year thereafter.

I think if you use a 3%-ish rule to begin retirement, and make it to RMD age, you’re going to be fine. You can always push what you didn’t spend from your IRA back into a brokerage account, or I-Bonds. Or spend the 3% and for the 0.65% do a QCD to a charity, there’s your 3.65%.

The $25T retirement industry is facing tougher times in the road ahead. What has been a fairly lucrative way to make lots of money is becoming more competitive as industry newcomers to the scene are using newer technology and methods while the outlook for more restrictions seems a sure thing as people live longer and retirement lifestyles adjust to an ever-aging population center of gravity.

Wade Pfau and his employer, the American College Center for Retirement Income, will have to come up with creative ways to keep attracting new blood the keep the industry going. Suggesting that the customers of their industry prepare for a less attractive product is part of that process.

Oh I see. 3% SWR if you pay us to advise you, if you manage yourself with a simple portfolio that works well the 4% rule still works? but we don’t get paid :frowning:

The 4% rule is making a comeback! What are your thoughts?

I was always planning on using the 4% modified rule and then for the years when the market is down just use money from my non retirement account and hope I made the right choice. Whatever the % rule we use it is really just a starting point and we will have to modify it if needed.

A couple of thoughts on this. I just saw a stock market and 60/40 portfolio performance prediction tool at AllocateSmartly.com, it’s free “you get what you pay for”. By their own admission, they say it’s a blunt instrument and not suited for market timing. I consider it useful info because the median forecast for the nine methods cited is low. We know not to trust any one prediction in isolation, but just maybe the “crowd” of predictions speaks some truth. This would put the 4% rule in some jeopardy.

I got an out of print 2005 copy of “Work Less, Live More” by Bob Clyatt. He came up with “Clyatt’s 95% rule”; if the stock market is down in the prior year, then for the next year allow yourself to spend 4% of your portfolio, or 95% of what you spent last year, whichever is greater. That rule pretty much insures that you won’t run out of money… but if there are years of poor market performance, then you’re going to be giving yourself 5% pay cuts every year for several years in a row.

Below are some clippings readers may find useful, including quotes from Bill Bengen himself.

=============================================

4% Drawdown Rule Inventor: Cut Your Spending Now

Wednesday, 20 April 2022 - Newsmax

Since 1994, retirees have lived by a simple code: the 4% annual drawdown rule.

Created by now retired financial planner Bill Bengen, the longstanding plan has been for retirees to be able to safely withdraw an average of 4% of their savings portfolio each year. The thinking was that a well-diversified portfolio with a fair share of fixed income would be able to carry a retiree through a 25-year retirement, if they only withdrew 4% of their money each year.

With inflation running at 8.5%, a pace not seen since 1981, the mastermind of the 4% drawdown rule has a new message: Cut your retirement spending. Now.

“The problem is that there’s no precedent for today’s conditions,” Bengen tells The Wall Street Journal.

In fact, investment data and research firm Morningstar echoes Bengen’s updated advice, itself now calling for an initial withdrawal rate of 3.3% for new retirees.

Aside from inflation running at a 40-year high, Bengen says another big headwind for today’s retirees is overpriced price/earnings (P/E) valuations of 36 times corporate earnings for the past decade.

“That’s double the historic average,” Bengen tells the WSJ. “While low interest rates justify higher stock valuations, to some extent, I think the market is expensive.”

The U.S. economy has not experienced an environment quite like this since the 1930s, Bengen says. “There’s no precedent for today’s conditions,” he says.

A Quick Solution for Retirees

Bengen, who retired nine years ago in 2013, has been able to reap some of the upside of the stock market in the past few years, especially since COVID-19 stimulus money has helped boost the market since 2020. Since 2006, in fact, a strong equities market has given Bengen the confidence to increase his annual withdrawal rate to 4.7%.

Someone retiring in 2022 or in years ahead when returns are likely to be thinner and market volatility is predicted to be higher, might not be so lucky, says Bengen. Thus, he advises retirees to reduce their annual withdrawals to 4.4% a year now, and possibly even lower in years ahead.

Bengen has also slashed his monthly budget and recommends that retirees and near-retirees do the same. He also has dramatically changed how his retirement savings portfolio is invested, moving from his original rule of thumb for 55% in U.S. large-cap stocks and 45% in intermediate-term Treasury bonds.

Bengen’s portfolio is now 20% in stocks, 10% in bonds — and a whopping 70% in cash.

“I’m uncomfortable holding that much in cash,” he admits. But, with the Federal Reserve poised to raise interest rates as many as eight times this year, markets are going to be more unpredictable and volatile, Bengen reasons. “It’s not a great time to invest in financial assets.”

However — if valuations come down dramatically, Bengen might be tempted to buy up some individual stocks at attractive prices.

“I retired nine years ago, so I’m probably safe,” Bengen ventures. “But I’m not comfortable,” he quickly adds, “because I am still early enough in retirement that the combination of threats we face could be damaging.”

============================================================

Withdrawal Strategies for Retirees - Wade Pfau, March 2022 AAII Journal, p. 21

He thinks the 4% SWR Bengen rate is too high, because of low interest rates. He was thinking more about 2.8%, Morningstar came up with 3.3%. So in the ballpark of 3% is more realistic.

U-shaped glidepath - get more risk-averse early retirement, then more risky later in retirement to support spending in the face of inflation.

The 60/40 portfolio had an awful year in 2022, with a serious drawdown… Fall 2022 would have been a good time to enter the portfolio. Bad times don’t last forever. Note, quotes above were from March and April 2022, before the big drawdown was completed. So I suppose they are outdated.

If stocks take another haircut, and bonds also (meaning higher interest rates on the 10 year Treasury bond), then really it will be a good time to use the 60/40. But if this happens people will be too afraid of stocks and bonds, and they’ll be bidding up the price of whatever is the fashionable thing of the day…

Same as it ever was… buy high, sell low!