Should I even bother getting a variable-rate credit card with a sub-10% purchase APR?

I currently have three credit cards: a Wells Fargo card, a Citi Double Cash card, and a fixed-rate card from Redwood Credit Union that has a purchase APR of 8.99%. Each card is from a different issuer. I’m so glad that I got the fixed-rate card from RCU because I feel that I would need to carry a balance on the card every year so I can afford to see a certain dentist who does not accept Medicaid. I am aware of the Noah’s Ark rule that Clark Howard has offered. In light of America’s current inflation situation, should I even bother getting a variable-rate credit card with a sub-10% purchase APR at the present time? Just last month, I unsuccessfully applied for a Platinum credit card from Navy Federal Credit Union. Even after a reconsideration, I was rejected on the grounds of “NOT ENOUGH DEBT MANAGEMENT OR PROPERTY OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE.” The lowest APR offered on the NFCU Platinum card is currently 5.99%. I have a feeling that the amount will be considerably higher a year or two from now.

So you have the Double Cash card and qualify for Medicaid and were turned down by NFC. How did that work?

What are the terms of the Wells Fargo Card? Is it also cash back?
If you have a fixed at 9%, I see little benefit to a Variable rate. At most you might want to see if you can get a better card than the Wells Fargo.

Alliant FCU has a 2.5% Cash Back or do you buy from Amazon (5%CB on Amazon Purchases with the Chase Amazon Card.or since you were in the military, USAA or PenFed.

If possible try to pay in full each month. If you cannot, the 9% does not sound awful. What is the current rate of the variable?

I actually had an nRewards (secured) credit card from NFCU for about six months. The credit limit on it was $200. After NFCU turned me down for an upgrade to a cashRewards card after six months despite no delinquent payments on my part, I decided to ditch the nRewards card and get my $200 deposit back. If I had a lot more money saved up, I would’ve decided to tough it out and keep the nRewards card until an approved upgrade to a cashRewards card. Keep in mind that NFCU does not offer fixed-rate credit cards. UNIFY Financial Credit Union does offer fixed-rate credit cards, but I imagine that I would not get approved for one without having a secured credit card from UNIFY first. In order to get a secured credit card from UNIFY, I would have to make a $500 deposit. I only had to make a $300 deposit in order to get a secured credit card from Redwood Credit Union.

As of my most recent statement, the purchase APR was 15.10%, and it wasn’t fixed. My Wells Fargo credit card is a rewards card, and I can certainly get cash back as a reward. For the record, I’ve had a Wells Fargo credit card account for over 20 years.

The lowest variable credit-card purchase APR offered by Redwood Credit Union is 9.74%.

I have never been in the military, but my dad was.

I feel for you. I’ve spent thousands of dollars for dental care in 2021 with a great dentist whose work from 1982! still holds strong.

You want your awesome dentist. Me too!

I suggest other finance products for your dental work… talk to your credit union about a loan with a fixed rate. Could be better.

I do admit to feeling some guilt about not toughing it out in order to get an upgrade to an NFCU cashRewards card. I am disabled, and I currently receive $1,239 a month in SSDI benefits. My father is my representative payee. I am a California resident. Like I said, I am so glad that I have a Redwood Credit Union credit card that has a fixed purchase APR of 8.99%. However, I can’t get the Noah’s Ark rule out of my head. Should me or my parents even bother opening a CalABLE account if only $500 were to be deposited? Keep in mind that CalABLE accounts have an annual fee of $37.