Refrigerator that consumes 683 kWh a year

If a refrigerator consumes 683 kWh a year, is that bad?

Today an Energy Star rated refrigerator uses about 350 kwh a year or about 10 cents a day.

You need to look up the power company website. They make it difficult to know the cost per kWh, but you can get it eventually. Then you can compare that with the estimated cost per year of other refrigerators.

I believe the listed cost per year is calculated at $.12 per kW. I don’t recall it ever being difficult to find out the cost per kW of my electric plans.

A woman in a cold northern state complained on ABC News that she had a power failure during a blizzard and all of her food went bad. My wife and I screamed at the top our lungs… YOU IDIOT !!!

1 Like

Well, there are a few things that shouldn’t be frozen (think lettuce and similar), but there are usually options, and even without power, a refrigerator should hold it’s temp for quite awhile if you leave the door closed.

You can use a Kill-A-Watt meter to see usage. They are on Amazon from $13 and up.

Look at your electric bill and if they don’t have the effective KWH charge, then you can calculate it. Online those “compare rates across America” list ours at 39.97 cents per Kwh BUT they don’t include the taxes and fees which makes our total 47.95 cents per Kwh! That explains why we have more solar being installed every day.

OUCH!.. :hushed:

And when we lived in Alaska, I thought 25 cents was high! In Idaho it’s only 10-11 cents a KWH.

1 Like

Wow! I’d consider a move to Idaho, but I’ve heard that those on the left have to register enemies of the state. :thinking: :roll_eyes:

Registering is optional… it’s the bounty that’s worrisome… :face_with_peeking_eye: … :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the warning. I’ll be staying in SC. Just checked, and our electric co-op KW hour price is around 15.25 cents. So the risk/benefit ratio of a move doesn’t make good sense. Idaho does seem nice, though.

Including the demand cost, I average 6 to 8 cents per kW.