My dependent college grad moved out in Sept. How do I do Taxes?

My 22 year old daughter graduated from college in June. Got a full time job in NC and moved out of our CA home in September. When I go to do my taxes can I still claim her as a dependent this year? Or is it better for her to claim herself as a non dependent?

You can claim her if you provided more than half her support for the year. It’s hard to know whether that’s better than not claiming her without doing both of your returns both ways.


Thanks !!! FYI: I provided all her support……

If you supported her the entire year (paid her living expenses once she moved out?), you ate justified in claiming her as a dependent. If her earnings would cause less taxation if she claims herself, have a frank talk with her about splitting that benefit.