Inflation is Killing Retirees on Fixed Pensions

Yes. And QE was also corporate welfare, to bail out corporations that had made bad risks.
Funny how people on welfare are shamed and regarded as lazy. But corporations that get bailed out are successful risk-takers, and the people in charge make even more money.

Even worse; the bad actors who caused the global financial crisis skated, they should have been prosecuted. That includes enablers of the crime, like Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s.

1 Like

If you receive and 8.6 percent increase and inflation is at 8.3 percent it is not an increase. With more printing of money to pay the increase inflation will be even higher. Look at the federal budget with 31 trillion in debt it will soon take all tax collections to pay the interest on the debt.

1 Like

Yep. A point that no one seems to care about.

Workers rarely see 8.6% increases in their wages. They have more of a “fixed income” than social security recipients, since soc. sec. isn’t “fixed”, with COLAs.

Workers often have the opportunity for promotion within their company, or moving to a different company for a raise in position or pay. Many, if not most, retired people do not have that kind of opportunity available; there is little that they can do to raise their income.

On the other hand… retired people don’t have to work. :smiley:

That’s what resignations and job interviews are for. :nerd_face:

If you’re in a job that has that kind of negotiable salary. People who work in retail, restaurant work, etc. are stuck because companies can just pay minimum wage, or maybe a bit better, but not large differences. Remember, not everyone can hop to a new job and get a huge increase, when corporations can pay around minimum wage.
And while job-hopping to increase pay sounds good in theory, there are reasons why people might stay at a job (insurance, commute, etc).
People in a job really are more “fixed income” than social security, because social security gets COLAs. A person working in a job can get little or no raise.

1 Like

@NancyM… I’d refer you to our earlier exchange in this thread where you said today’s world of work is different than it was 30 years ago. It is different in many ways, but the fundamentals of the value of work given by the employee and the compensation given by the employer have not changed.

Another fact has remained the same as well… that is, in general, people do not take advantage of the earning potential they possess. Most folks, for lots of reasons, just don’t take the steps necessary to increase their incomes once they reach a certain point. They set their goal way short of what it could be.

I think that a person’s aversion to risk and lack of self confidence play a big role in that phenomena.

Like I said before, it should not take much thought to figure out that working by the hour is not a good way to maximize your worth in an exchange for your work. As an hourly worker you become a commodity, and commodities are treated as equals and lose the advantage of the marketable uniqueness you have. The employer wins and you lose.

73$ a month is not keeping up with squat+ other benefits that the handicap & Seniors depend on take that increase in considering how much extra you can afford for subsidized housing, food benefits and other services that most of you don’t even know about! You can plan all you want & have a spouse or tragedy or both wipe you out!

I bought poultry feed today, and was happy to note that the price had fallen by a few dollars per bag. On the other hand, some feeds had lowered the quantity to 35lb (vs a previous 40 or 50). But the feed I use is the same weight, but noticeably less per bag. And that matters when you purchase 8 to 10 or 12 bags at a time.

1 Like